Wondering how fast could your B12 levels go down with someone who has a B12 deficiency?

My mother was getting a B12 shot every month. But because of going to hospital 2x and rehab 2x she has not had it in over 2 months. She is not doing well in physical therapy and is very tired all the time. They are getting ready to do another evaluation with hospice. I am not sure. Just wondering how fast could your B12 levels go down with someone who has a B12 deficiency.

18

Answers

Based on our experience I think standing orders like a monthly B12 shot easily get missed or skipped when a patient is bouncing around from hospital to short term rehab. If she were in a NH or other long term facility then yes that facility should take care of it but right or wrong something like this given monthly I think often gets overlooked or put off, they may not have it for one but more likely since they don't have the patient for a month or more it's hard to keep track of when she got it and when she needs it, in hospital and rehab. They pay close attention to the every day meds and treat this I think more like a flu shot which they wouldn't give either even if she was due. That said you could probably ask for it and see if it's something they can come up with but it sounds to me as though she may not even be in the rehab facility anymore. Hopefully you find a marked difference in her energy and demeanor when you get some B12 back in her. Have a great holiday!

And, also, she got a prescription for B12, 50,000mg once a week for 4 weeks. (4 green gel caps) Then the over the counter supplements.

My Mother and I both had low vit B and D. So, the Dr said to take supplements. B12. It kept her levels normal. And yes, low B12 will make you very tired.

Also, I forgot to add that the effect was almost immediate. I felt like a new person. I hope your loved one can get back on it soon, however you do it. Sometimes meds etc get lost, that is why you have to be your own advocate.

Deficiency on the part of the physician as they all do not believe in Vitamins. I am giving you bad advice, do your own thing B 12 can be bought OTC. Tell the doctor what you are doing at the same time make a fuss.

She needs to be on the B12 regimen. Because she has gone "off course" is no doubt the reason as to why she is so drained/tired.

I'm not sure how fast the levels go down but I know they can get back on very good levels very fast even with Sublingual Methylcobalamin 1000 mcg, one per day.

My mom's levels were at 160 this summer and in 30 days she was back at 664. I'm not sure if I can recommend any product here, so I won't name the brand, but if you make a research on amazon the one I bought is the one with a golden label, it worked very well for her. Hope this can help.

If she was getting these shots on a regular basis before entering a facility, that should be reflected in her med records and continued. Is there a reason why the facility is not continuing these? Is she on any other meds? That would also be a question for her primary doc.

Insist on her getting the B12 shots! If she got them regularly, she must be deficient by now. Fatigue is a symptom of the deficiency.
They'll call in a doctor - but you want that too.

My doctor has me take a chewable B-12 Gummybear type pill every day. As he said, it will keep my B-12 at on a level keel. You can purchase them at the drugstore and they taste just like Gummybears. I started out with 2 but he has me on one now. I also am on Vitamin D.