Wondering how fast could your B12 levels go down with someone who has a B12 deficiency?

My mother was getting a B12 shot every month. But because of going to hospital 2x and rehab 2x she has not had it in over 2 months. She is not doing well in physical therapy and is very tired all the time. They are getting ready to do another evaluation with hospice. I am not sure. Just wondering how fast could your B12 levels go down with someone who has a B12 deficiency.

They can go down pretty quickly and they can be raised pretty quickly as well with a shot. Some people are more sensitive than others and react quickly in the energy department to a B12 shot. It's also something you can easily give her rather than having to take her in for it all the time. Her doctors nurse should be able to train you very quickly. There is also B12 available in sublingual form, it isn't as effective and may not be the same make up (injection being better often) but if she can keep something under her tongue it might be worth picking some up to give her until you can get her back in a schedule with the injections.
Every 30 days.
Her b12 order should be in place while in any facility.
Her fatigue and difficulty with PT may be worse if she is B12 deficient (is she? Has anyone checked?); but are they not more likely related to whatever took her to hospital twice and has led to her evaluation for hospice care?

Still. It's a simple test and a simple px. Get the rehab team to run and find out!
It can drop quickly naturally and quicker when reliant on supplement.
Partly depends on why she is deficient and what kind of shot she is getting. In the U.K. people with pernicious anaemia get an injection everym3months and levels are generally fine with that. However some people need more and there is some evidence that serum levels do not adequately reflect the effect. ie. one might have normal levels but possibly have a higher requirement or lower sensitivity. It’s not clear. However, you cannot really overdose on B12 (only A, D, E and K vitamins) so I agree that if it’s difficult to get her in for a shot then start oral/sublingual. It’s better than nothing. And it’s useful to be able to do it at home. However, it is also useful to have a general screen. There are other vitamins and minerals which can cause fatigue when your levels are low eg iron, folate and Vit D.
Surprisingly fast. My dad was unable to get his B12 shot for two months while caretaking my mother during a decline she went through right before entering AL.
My dad was feeling very weak, tired and was quite IRRITABLE and snappish. I didn’t realize he hadn’t been able to leave my mother to even go get his shot!

But YES, elders are very sensitive about missing their B12 and it can have noticeable effects on their mental function and their moods.
i've been on B12 for many years now. The shots were great, once a week for several months. Then I graduated to the B12 in pill form. Yearly I have blood work done to see how well the B12 and D vitamins are doing. Now I need to double the D vitamins.

If a love one finds the B12 and/or D upsets their stomach, I found buying the vitamins pills from a "compounding pharmacy" works best for me. The pills are already shelf ready from a vendor. I can tolerate the fillers that are in the pills, and the pill is in capsule form. The pills are gluten free.
My doctor has me take a chewable B-12 Gummybear type pill every day. As he said, it will keep my B-12 at on a level keel. You can purchase them at the drugstore and they taste just like Gummybears. I started out with 2 but he has me on one now. I also am on Vitamin D.
Insist on her getting the B12 shots! If she got them regularly, she must be deficient by now. Fatigue is a symptom of the deficiency.
They'll call in a doctor - but you want that too.