Tips on caring for parent after ankle surgery (fracture)?

Has anyone here had some experience caring for a loved one after an ankle fracture and surgery to fix the break? This will be done on an outpatient basis, so we will be caring for her at our home for the 6 week recovery period (possibly longer). Any tips on medical supplies, etc to make this as seamless as possible? I.e., grip for getting out of bed; shower seat; what type of wheelchair? She has tried a walker a few days into the fracture and that isn't going well, so we're looking into wheelchairs and the knee roller. Thanks in advance for any input!

17

Answers

Sorry - this might be too late - but here's an online guide to recovering at home that we put together. It's really key to make sure your MIL doesn't push herself too hard too fast, that's when accidents happen.

Thank you - surgery went well and I asked and received an order for a home health aid and PT. We will see how that goes. The protocol for this kind of surgery as outpatient possibly makes sense under normal circumstances - smart to avoid hospital acquired bacteria, etc. I'm glad to have her with me in lieu of her being alone at SNF, which are iffy. That said, the home health help needs to be more automatic for older patients. Even in your early 40s, it is no easy feat to pivot around on one foot with a walker to get to the toilet. Let alone mid to late 70s. Luckily she is in pretty good shape, but I can think of others like my MIL who aren't nearly as fit and who would have an even bigger fall risk.

She may be non weight bearing for a few weeks but she & the family should receive in home PT/OT to teach her (& the CGs) how to raise herself out of bed, on and off the toilet, how to get dressed & build upper body strength as well.
But what should happen vs what actually does happen is another story. And as you say, PT/OT at this time may not be Good utilization of resources. 
Let us know how your mother’s surgery went & if any resources were offered to you so we can learn from this.
Hope everything went well!

Please advocate for her stay at a highly rated orthopedic rehab facility. She will receive more frequent physical therapy as well as occupational therapy. They are equipped to manage any post op pain or surgical complications. They will oversee her safe transfer to post op Dr appointments. Seniors have a high fall risk after returning home from surgery and require a professional Rehab setting. I wish you good luck!

I would also be asking the surgeon what aftercare will be needed. It seems a bit bonkers that they're leaving you to figure all this out for yourselves, isn't it???

Poor mother - how is she feeling about all this? While it's true that it's lucky this happened when there were people about, it can be hard to see that sort of silver lining when you were so looking forward to a nice Christmas with your family :(

Although it looks like she'd have to be in need of physical therapy (at a minimum) to qualify for the home health aid under Medicare...not sure if physical therapy will be recommended or not during the first 6 weeks.

Thanks I am calling her primary care provider. Thanks for the link, Barb. Looks like at least some help ought to be covered...

Why don't you sign her up for private pay at a rehab center/SNF? They will have the appropriate medical care there on site, and you and your spouse can take turns sitting with her and helping during the day. If she needs something during the night, the staff can help her.

elderparenthelp.com/medicare-cover-cost-home-care-hospitalization

I would be in touch with her primary care physician TODAY about these issues, what can be scripted. The hospital where she is going to have the surgery should have a social worker on staff who can help you navigate this.

I would ask the ortho if a knee scooter could be useful NOW! It would allow her to get around without so much assistance.