caregivingstuff Asked March 28, 2018

I was wondering if an extra long hand held shower hose would work for mom instead of getting a bidet?

The existing hose is a bit short to reach the toilet, so we are considering a longer one for her Delta hand shower.

7

Answers

cwillie Apr 17, 2018
This is EXACTLY what I used to help clean my mom, I hadn't planned it but it seemed like the best kind of serendipity!

Our shower and toilet are close enough that I could reach to turn the water on and off easily so drips were minimal (but a little water on the floor is no big deal). I did wish I had a toilet with the elongated bowl though, it would have given me more room to reach behind.

Silentscreaming Apr 16, 2018
Caregivingstuff....
Your best bet ( going through same issues but aren't we all)
It's called a peri bottle and not expensive ( Wal-Mart or amazon) and I think you get more control than the soap bottle ...
Reply to Silentscreaming

caregivingstuff Apr 16, 2018
Thanks everyone for sharing your ideas! The bottle idea sounds great, she has been using a cup but the spray bottle might be better for force or we are also considering a bidet toilet seat with warm water.
Reply to caregivingstuff

Ahmijoy Mar 29, 2018
Yes, the extended shower head would put the bathroom under water unless she was sitting on a bench in the tub. They do make bidets that are a hose attached to the actual toilet, but I could never figure out how you could get warm water out of there. Since most toilet water is ice cold, that certainly wouldn’t be pleasant.

SueC1957 Mar 29, 2018
I have a hand held shower (tube and head). There is quite a bit of water that comes out of the many jets.

What we used on the Maternity floor was just a plain plastic squeeze bottle (has a pull up head to open it). It sprayed the right amount of water at the privates. She would also have control of the "force" of the stream.
I suppose you could use an small, old dish liquid bottle if you couldn't find the other one.
Much cheaper and easier than the shower hose or a bidet.
Reply to SueC1957

JoAnn29 Mar 29, 2018
Yes, I agree. Water everywhere. Bidet would be nice.

jjariz Mar 28, 2018
In this case, I would expect to have water everywhere.
Reply to jjariz