My 83 year old mother has not taken a bath in over 2 years. What can happen to her body? - AgingCare.com

My 83 year old mother has not taken a bath in over 2 years. What can happen to her body?

She has dementia and becomes combative when bath or shower is mentioned. She won't even take a sponge bath. I am worried about the long term effects.

3

Answers

Does anyone check her skin, especially skin folds for breakdown (open wounds). I have to check my mom because of her poor hygiene and refusal to take showers. She will get into shower when she has wet herself through the diapers and smells awful. It's a shame it has to get to that point.
Reply to Ilovemycats

As a nurse I would suspect dry skin, rashes, fungus, skin breakdown, infections on skin. OMG....2 years! And I was complaining about my MOM. Can't you have the Dr. order a mild tranquilizer for combativeness. Calm her down and get this women a SHOWER. Doesn't she STINK?
Reply to Ilovemycats

Well. Unless anything *else* changes, I can't imagine that any harm is going to come to your mother that wouldn't already have happened in two years.

Is there an immediate problem?