How do bedridden patients get meds that are scheduled to be refilled when they can't go into doctor's office?

Mom takes Tramadol (Ultram). She is 91. She has no more cartilage in her right knee. She has osteoarthritis. She suffered a fall in her bathroom and was transported to hospital. She had CAT scan, executive panel blood work, X-ray and ultra sound,(she has a pacemaker so no MRI).

Hospital suspects TIA. I believe it might be her second based on a previous episode. She has not seen her Internist in a year because she was unable to sit for the long waiting period prior to seeing her physician. And, she doesn't want to be 'messed with'.

She uses a rollator to move from her bed to toilet, it is a very long and arduous process and is incredibly painful for her especially after her fall.

Her doctor refuses to refill her Rx without seeing her even though his office has access to her hospital records from one month ago. It makes me wonder how bedridden patients that are being cared for in their own homes get their meds?

22

Answers

1 2 3
Is she living in a care facility or in a private home. I guess I did not see what type of care she has and housing.
Reply to Daughter20
Ruffles63 Aug 9, 2018
Mom is in her own home. My sister and I take turns staying with her.
(0)
A few suggestions:
Home Health Aides
VNA
RX by mail
Reply to Llamalover47

Oh boy, not a pretty picture here for either her doctor or the assisted care facility.

Have the State send a person who works with Adult Protective Services. Make sure that they meet you at the facility under the guise of being a friend who has come with you to go out to lunch, let's say. Make sure that the door is closed so that the staff cannot hear what is going on; hopefully Mom is in a room by herself.
Ask APS to also have an RN or RN practitioner tag along too.
Call her doctor, make an appointment to see him/her and find out WHY they will not send someone out to checkup on her and do a wellness exam.
The assisted living facility I have my Mother in now has a contract with a Mobile doctor's practice and they come every month to examine every single resident.
Do you have any family members close enough that they can help by stopping by unannounced periodically to see for themselves what may be going on.
IF the staff tells you it will be just a minute or two before you can enter her room...ALARM BELLS should be going off!!
Walk in immediately just so you can see why they want you to wait.

A friend of mine, her Mother died in a care facility and it wasn't until the Mortician was doing the exam required by the State, they had to call the police in on the death because he found bruising in areas that shouldn't have been, slight skull fracture as well.

I don't know what the outcome was with the investigation, but I do know that they changed the death certificate to suspicious.
Reply to dkentz72

In this town the docs dont start their clinics until 9am and spend from 8am visiting such situation patients in their own home.
One that means they are not holding up the rest of the clinic, the Dr can assess the situation better by seeing the environment and no pain to the patient.
In the cities there is often a taxi that is set up for wheelchair clientele, .IF you could phone around and see if there is one near you.
Reply to muffincat

I had a similar issue after my mom had a stroke.She couldn't walk very well,and her doctor didn't have a handicap ramp.Due to some grandfathered law he didn't have to.I asked if he wouldn't mind making a house call when need be,and he agreed.My mom was a long time patient of his, and it wasn't a huge inconvience since his office is near the house.He would come by at the end of his work day.Ask your mom's doctor if he wouldn't mind doing the same because of her mobility.I hope it all works out for your mom and you.
Reply to Concerned43

HomeHealthCare can arrange for a home visit by a doctor/nurse practitioner and they can prescribe or call the doctor for refills.

Requesting to see the person before refilling is actually a good practice. How many people do you know who have "handicap placques" for their vehicles that have been handed down from deceased relatives?

No patient - really should be no refills. Call HomeHealth and arrange for her to be seen and evaluated.
Reply to RayLinStephens

Need to check with local resources and find an MD that makes home visits. Not many are out there but hopefully you can find one.
Reply to gdaughter

My Husband was on Hospice the Nurse came to us and ordered medications.
We also had the VA and the VA has a Home Based Primary Care so the Doctor came to him.

But if your Mom is Hospice eligible that is the best way to get the meds she needs.
The nurse will come to her, the medications will be delivered to your door. I suppose one of the down sides is the medications will be delivered in 1 week supplies not a 30, 60 or 90 day supply. But the nurse will come every week and the deliveries will come every week.

The word Hospice scares a lot of people. Many think that it is for the last days of life or at most 6 months. My Husband was on Hospice for 3 years. As long as there is a continued, documented decline a person will/can remain on Hospice. You will get supplies delivered to your door, equipment delivered, you will have a Nurse that will come every week, a CNA that will come a few times a week to help bathe her you will have a Social Worker, Chaplain as well as access to volunteers that will, if you want, come and sit with her while you run errands of your own or just so you can get out and relax and have time for YOU. there are also Art, music and other therapists that work with Hospice and you can use those services as well. All from the comfort of your own home and this is covered by Medicare so it will not cost you.
Reply to Grandma1954

It sounds like she may be a candidate for hospice in which case they would come to her for visits and supply all the meds she needs.
If you can't get her on hospice you could apply for adaride.com. I did not find out about this service until recently and it has been such a good thing for getting my wheelchair bound mom out of her memory care facility. Mom never has to get out of her wheelchair and companions ride free. Cost is only $3.50/ride each way which is so much cheaper than using private wheelchair transport services. Not sure what all areas of the country they service. Can do the application process online and it just needs a doctor to fill in the form which confirms your mom is not able to ambulate independently and would not be able to ride a city bus independently. Persons with cognitive impairments also qualify since they could not ride a bus independently.
Hope this works out for you.
Reply to Marysd

Dear Caregiver,

Inquire with Medicare or your current physician about assigning a visiting physician.

I Just signed my mother up. We've had one very encouraging visit thus far. Many home services are offered: dentist. physical therapy, lab technicians for bloodwork ect

Help is available -
Stay encouraged! ⚘🌹😊
Reply to ACaregiver

1 2 3