I am moving in with my mother. She is independent but showing signs of dementia. I still need an income and realize at some point I may need to be with her 24/7. Is it possible to get some training or certification and get paid as the caregiver through her Medicare or other funds?

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Weeroo, sounds like a great idea getting training. Please note that Medicare does not pay for caregiving.

The majority of grown children who are caring for their parent do not get paid.... unless the parent can pay from their own retirement fund.

Or if your Mom can qualify for Medicaid [which is different from Medicare]. Depending on your Mother's State, some States have a program where a person can be paid, but note the pay would be very minimal.

Try to work it out somehow where you do not lose your job. If you have a full-time job with benefits, you would lose much more than just your salary.... you would lose health insurance benefits.... matching 401(k).... profit sharing... vacation pay... sick pay... free education, etc. and those benefits are costly.

I know this isn't always a family's choice, but Medicaid can pay for all the cost if the parent goes into a skilled nursing facility. That way, the grown child can continue to be employed.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter