I have run out of outing ideas. Suggestions? - AgingCare.com

I have run out of outing ideas. Suggestions?

I was going to take my mother to the movies today but realized she would not understand it. Also when I take her somewhere she talks to strangers. This would be fine if she just said hello but she keeps talking and it does not make sense which gets awkward. Sometimes she will laugh into the face of children. She is trying to be nice but it scares them and the parents. And she steals stuff out of restaurants.

Suggestions?

20

Answers

Check out your local senior center. If it's a good one they may have several different activities a week.

You guys have given me an idea for a new fun topic about what our care receivers say over and over again. It can drive you NUTS for sure!! :)

Lol. Too bad we aren't sharing one! On that note, I tried at one point to start a club for caregivers in my area but it never took off. It would be fun to go shopping with you and your mom and we could walk behind them chuckling and pretend we don't know them when they get awkward.

LOL. Are we sure we aren't sharing the same person? :-)

I totally forgot about S&H green stamps but that's probably next.

lol, ha ha ha. Free in a box of laundry soap. ha ha ha You are telling my story geo. Mine likes to say at the top of her voice, "this is cute, but not ten dollars cute." Also, our shopping trips are peppered with "I haven't seen that since I left home." She can be pointing to anything from cheerios to beer. She never fails to say "you could get that for a dime" or "free with S&W green stamps", at least 20 times during every trip. She also says "those are back" and she is referring to items like raisins or bread rolls.??? None of this would be bad but the problem is that she talks about people she sees too and that often goes beyond okay. You can just imagine her reaction to things like piercings, extensive tattoos and gauges. ha ha.

I meant to say that she loudly exclaims. Sorry that there's no such word as "louding."

I'm glad to be reading these ideas, myself.

Just one thing to consider on antique shops, though: while they do provide fodder for reminiscing, my mother who is also getting more "direct" ends up louding exclaiming things like, "$100!!! My mother got that for FREE in a box of laundry soap!!!!!" And she does this repeatedly. I'm passing this along as just something to think about in case your mom is in that same mindset.

I think it's better to bring your mother into a picnic garden or any place where she can breath fresh and relaxing air. You can both make a fresh vegetable salads, walk for some mile and let her share anything that comes in her mind. Make her feel being loved, though she can't appreciate it, but her priceless and happy face will make the outing being worth it.

Antique shops and thrift stores! Rarely crowded and they provide plenty of fodder for conversation as the articles in them bring back memories.
If they like animals you can have one visit her/him at home with a handler ( ask your local elderly services or rescue league). This makes for good company both human and four legged.
For the ladies or gents how about having a manicure/pedicure or massage?
Enjoy plants? Start an indoor box of herbs or lettuce, shop for seeds,visit green houses.
Good weather:Go on a picnic,go fishing!
Art,History and architecture:Give them tour of the local sites with history.They may teach you a thing or two!
Chocolate shops, ice cream shops,cheese shops with samples.This is great fun,inexpensive and filling!

I love these suggestions. So many new ideas. Thanks everyone!

Yes my mom's dementia is "mild" but she has lost all manners and sense of what is appropriate. People speak to her like she is a child but yet she makes those embarrassing jokes and it is just plain awkward.

It is nice to know I am not alone. I felt very guilty for not wanting to take her out but you all have helped a lot.