How do you cope with the pain of separating parents in memory care? - AgingCare.com

How do you cope with the pain of separating parents in memory care?

The time has finally come to where we are having to separate our parents who will be married 66 years in a couple months. They are currently in memory care but my mom hinders my dad from getting the care he needs. From downsizing to living next door to me to rehab and geriatric psych unit to memory care and now having to put my dad in a nursing home and my mom in a memory care facility, this has been a traumatic year for me. I feel so numb and sometimes wonder is something wrong with me because I can’t feel anymore. Now in a month or less I have the responsibility of moving them again, but to separate facilities. Sometimes it’s just overwhelming and so depressing. I can’t even imagine having to leave them alone and separate from each other but we are being told this is what we have to do. How do you cope with this part of the journey?

16

Answers

Wildcat11061956...my heart goes out to you and your family. It is a living nightmare for both parents and myself but God is getting me through it. I am learning to take a day at a time. I have seen my mom in tears saying she's going to leave my dad. He's so mean to me. At the same time I've seen my dad literally shaking because my mom gets him so frustrated. It was a no-win situation. Now I see them so pitiful, so lonely and my heart hurts from having to separate them. There really isn't a solution. Either she doesn't help him and he falls when she's with him or they grieve being apart.
Reply to Hurtbabygirl

I sent you a PM. My dad just passed last week after 10 1/2 years with PD. My heart is heavy for you.
Reply to talkey

@ talkey, yes
Reply to Hurtbabygirl

If them being together has not helped after all this time why do you still think that keeping them together is helpful? Would you be able to stay in the same room with someone who is like that long term?  I would imagine that it's quite stressful.  
Reply to Sunnygirl1

Hurtbabygirl, does your dad have Parkinson's?
Reply to talkey

She has already spent 14 days in a geri-psychiatric unit. They put her on something to help but still isn't helping. We've tried separate rooms with Jack and Jill bathroom. They would spend the day in his room and he would go to her room at night. We then moved them back into the same room. We have tried basically everything we know to do to keep them together. There doesn't seem to be any other alternative. There needs to be a skilled nursing center that accepts Medicaid and a private pay memory care unit in the same facility. That way they could be separate but able to visit more often.
Reply to Hurtbabygirl

I am assuming that most of the pain will be your own, right? If so, I am so sorry for that and I do understand when both parents are lucky enough to have lived to be an elder, it is extremely difficult. Perhaps prayer and GOD will get them through.
Reply to Llamalover47

Can a psych dr and possibly meds help her so that she doesn't interfere? I'm sure you've exhausted all you know to do, but this is so sad for all of you. We separated Dad & his partner when she went into hospice from rehab (Dad was still at home). But we just couldn't keep them in the home, and neither her family nor ours could take on both of them.
Reply to talkey

They are currently together but she is guarding the door, having to be put in the hall so they can help him, etc. She gets angry when nurses try to help him so we have no other alternative. It is one of the saddest and hardest things I have ever had to face. God is helping me. If it wasn't for Him I couldn't survive this. It does help to hear others' stories.
Reply to Hurtbabygirl

I feel so sad for you. My father in law that I have cared for in my home for going into my 11th year is a widow and therefore haven't had this experience. My grandfather and my aunts, uncles and father took care of my grandmother at home for 10 yrs with Alzheimer's. Everyone took turns helping which is extremely extremely rare. Anyway grandfather is now 95 and been a widower for 20 years and everyone is taking turns with him and thanks to God never had to be in your shoes and after 66 years of marriage. I am with Jacob. If my grandparents or my father in law were in your situation they would rather be together if possible. My grandmother used to keep my grandfather up all night and it was wearing himbout and making him sick so to modify care they gave my grandmother a sleeping pill every night. My grandfather became a new man with one little pill and grandma didnt notice anything. Maybe a medicine change for ur mom. Like something for anxiety. I have no idea. It is likely u have already tried everything. All I can say is I cant imagine how you feel, but I know with just one person I just wish it would end. I just wish I wouldnt wake up anymore and find little pleasure in nearly anything from just caring for one person. My hat is off to you and if you believe in God or a power greater than you then pray to Him and know he is pleased with you and eat right, go for a walk and make sure you give yourself at least 51% of care. Dont care more for them then for yourself because you will get sick. That is what happened to me. Then you cant help anyone and your body will become you prison. SELF CARE must be 1#. Best wishes to u and your family.
Reply to candi8