overwhelmed2237 Asked November 6, 2017

My Dad was in the Navy but did not fight in any wars. Can he still get benefits?

18

Answers

CdaleTN Dec 10, 2017
My answer assumes that your dad is not service connected disabled and does not carry a rating from the VA nor is he receiving a monthly payment now from the VA. The Korea time frame by legal proclamation is 6.27.50 - 1.31.55. If your dad had any active duty during this time frame, then it is worth looking at non-service connected pension plus aid and attendance if he is starting to need care. If he has -0- care needs then pursuing this benefit would not be worthy until at which time you can produce the medical evidence required that he needs care. Be advised that the when it comes to this benefit the care needs are very narrowly defined. Your dad did not have to be in Korea for his service - his active duty could have been stateside his entire active duty enlistment.

coralmae Nov 9, 2017
A friend of mine has worked at the VA for a long time and she told me that in order for a veteran to qualify for benefits, they must have served in the military and be on active duty in a war. I am not sure about benefits for survivors, so it would be best if you could either call or visit a VA hospital to get first hand info.

Llamalover47 Nov 9, 2017
overwhelmed2237: A "DD214" is a separation/discharge document. a241529 mentioned it, but you may not have known what it stood for.

JoAnn29 Nov 9, 2017
Just adding that your father didn't have to fight during these Wars just had to be in the service during those wars.

JoAnn29 Nov 9, 2017
If you Dad was not in the service during wartime your Mom does not qualify for Aid and Attendance. He had to be in during WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam. His military paperwork should show the years he served.

Helen52 Nov 9, 2017
My mother receives Aid and Attendance from the VA. She qualified for this because my father was in active service during active war time. He did not see any combat that was not a requirement. Many forms of paper work is required. It helps to have assistance when applying so you don't have delays.

RayLinStephens Nov 9, 2017
Not true Kristen3.
Neither my dad nor my DH seved in Korea, Vietnam and never were exposed to Agent Orange.
Both were WWII veterans and my DH has been receiving benefits for about 25 years now. My dad received until he passed in 2011.

Ok, I see how you "sort of" changed your answer.

The Veteran is entitled to benefits - but sometimes you must fight for them. Closed Enrollment and Pres Bush putting a ceiling on income doesn't help. But the veteran can show up at the VA- E.R. and sit there until they take him/her. Once in the system, he will be eligible for all applicable benefits. My walking buddy is a navy veteran and has seen this happen and every single time, the veteran is not turned away.

Again I say, find a VA Advocate - they are in all major cities and even 'minor' cities.  We actually have one in my small town of 1500 but he's only available one day a week.  Ask Ask Ask.

If you cannot locate your VA Advocate - use the National Organization of Veteran Advocates:
https://vetadvocates.org/

a241529 Nov 8, 2017
There are many factors that may determine eligibility. What are his health issues? Was he ever stationed at Camp LeJeune? There are many organizations to help answer your questions but you need at least his DD-214. I was lucky enough to find all the bases of assignment for my stepfather using Ancestry.com.

Rainmom Nov 8, 2017
Wow. Seems that everyone has been told or heard differing qualifiers for aged veterans to receive a, some, any benefits.

I’d recommend getting your answers straight from the source. Start with your local Veterans Administration - if they can’t help, they ought to be able to point you in the right direction to an appropriate agency/commission who can get you accurate answers.

Llamalover47 Nov 8, 2017
Kristen3: As far as surviving spouse obtaining benefits, I was told in order to get benefits other funeral expenses for the veteran, that the veteran would have to have been injured or KIA.