Mamoogins Asked December 2012

What are the benefits for a retired veteran's spouse when the veteran passes on?

I know they are entitled to what ever they decided on the SBP, spousal benefit plan and the medical benefits, but how does social security come into play, since once the veteran is gone, so is the veterans retirement pay. How does all this work?

62

Answers

1 3 4 5
Daughterlove Sep 21, 2017
I was told that my mother has to already be in a home before VA assistance can happen. We are struggling trying to find monethe money to get her in so the VA benefits can be obtained. Doesn't sound right to me!

JoAnn29 Sep 2016
No more options. Did the VA tell u why ur grandmother was turned down? You only get A & A if your care is more than your income. You can appeal within 30days.

What if the veteran was in the national guard for many years but didn't see war are there any widowed spouses benefits in this situation. I've already tried to get my 92 year old grandmother aid and attendance but was shot down. Is she entitled to anything? She's got dementia although not yet diagnosed by a doctor I'm sure of it as it's all to clear to see her change having been around her my whole life and cared for her. My grandfather and grandmother met young but didn't marry until 2002 and since they were young my grandfathers daughters have hated my grandma. One daughter came the night my grandpa passed and was a very good actress and assured she'd make sure my grandma was taken care of which made me angry from the beginning because age made it seem as though I want caring for her properly. Got APS involved and even accused me of murdering my grandfather this woman us SICK I'm serious she got my grandma to sign POA. Not knowing what she was signing and has taken just about everything from my grandma so that she's now miserable and depressed and barely able to live and APS is so biased and isn't doing they're job correctly they just want my grandma in a home. I guess I went on this rant became I'm curios if there's any legal help the va may provide my grandma to make things right,Well as right as possible without actually having my grandpa here with her. I know she's depressed possibly Suicidal and scares me

debdaughter Aug 2016
It would depend on what type of trust and how much money, but since you have a trust, I would start with the attorney who did that and see how VA knowledgeable/certified they are

SLSSLS Aug 2016
My father served during WWII, died about 6 years ago. My mother is 90, in relatively good health, but she has dementia and I am caring for her at home. My father had to be in a home for about a year before he died, but it was very expensive. My mother sold their home (their only asset), which is not making any money in interest at the bank. The money is in a revocable trust. She also gets social security (from my father). Would she qualify for any VA help, even though she has money from the sale of her house?

JoAnn29 Jun 2016
Irish2010, we r from all over the country and overseas. You will need to call ur local VA and ask that question. We r a support group.

was youthusband retired from military?

Irish2016 Jun 2016
I'm a recent widow of a veteran, and will lose Supplemental Insurance (I have Medicare) as of September. Who do I contact for Tricare for Life advice at the Veterans Administration in San Diego?

debdaughter May 2016
your mom's caregiver should have been in the room with her

debdaughter May 2016
*awake

1 3 4 5