Any advice on applying to the VA to become a fiduciary for my parents?

I applied for veterans benefits for my parents last year, and Dad just received notification that he has been approved after a long battle. Now I am being told that we have to apply as fiduciary. We have not yet received the second letter instructing how to go about this, so I am curious if anyone knows about the process and how difficult it will be. My brother seems to think that Dad just has to sign a paper. However, someone else told me I have to go to a hearing before a judge to get appointed. Apparently power of attorney (POA) does not suffice for the Department of Veterans Affairs!

61

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
you can call the VA hub at 888 407 0144 option 6  There a form for you to fill out plus has to be taken to the doctor to fill out then has to be faxed in or mailed.  It does take a lot of time before you get an answer then you have to wait until a field examiner comes out to talk to you. you will have to wait for a letter from VA. appoint you as a fiduciary.  I'm one over my mom.  It took about 2 months for me. You can also go on line and put in VA fiduciary and you should fine out what forms to fill out or type in VA fiduciary forms

Bonnie
Reply to butterflybonnie

Tooshort, the VA processes are often complex, and determining an amount (or award) is probably subject to a range of issues.

No one can really explain a particular amount without knowing more details about your father's situation, but I wouldn't consider sharing a lot of financial information on a public forum.

However, the first issue is what kind of award did he get? Is this for a service connected injury? Is it for some level of home care? Start with your father's team social worker at the VA and ask her to explain it to you. That's the best way.

I take care of my dad who is a Veteran of the Korean War and the VA sent out a Field Representative to my home with the necessary paperwork that we sat down and filled out together. A few weeks later, I received a letter in the mail that I had been appointed for this. The problem I am having is trying to get more than 172$ monthly to care for my dad.
Reply to tooshort

I just read your question while searching for any more remedies which my family had been exausted reporting the abuse, crimes and frauds to almost every government agencies. At the end , this is what they say " the conservator has all the authority approved by the court" , consult your lawyer". For over two years, we have been unlayering the truth the connections of the VA Fiduciaries. My Father died in 2016 at the VA after over 10 months of involuntary confinement and after the Fid./Conservator transfered all the assets to his incapacitated wife.The VA Social workers, APS , Lawyers, Conservator(Fraudiciary) conspired to staged and made false statements in the court and Probate Court Judges favored the lies and deceit. Nobody would tell you anything. If your elderly parents have a house, money and pensions, it is confiscted, without court approval. It is shameful to use the word "Fiduciary". It is a Business, wider than you could imagine. Two lawyers we hired on 2 two different case breached their duty blatanly. State Bar , Consumer Affairs , banks and other are self policing. They just want you think that you are being protected but not. The VA pays them, the SSA pays them and your families estate pays them. And family have no right to ask or notifiedWe should get together for Congresssional unquiry or anything for the public to know and justice for our love ones. Thank you for your comment , although it is 4 years ago, it is very important subject that remains and no one cares about it. I have all the evidence, I provided but got thrown out. It is a corrupt system and a silent crime.
-Christine88
Reply to christine88

Your Dad is the beneficiary you are the fiduciary.

Title of account should be similar to:
"Son" fiduciary for Veteran.
Reply to SwainNavy

This process is within the VA system only. A judge has no control over the VA.
Reply to SwainNavy

Just went thru the process. Won't go into details now about the VA incompetance now, but here's the scoop. You may be able to send in the application, but in my case the VA was sending mail to where my dad USED to live in Idaho, so the first notice that I got was from a federal investigator to set up a date for an interview. This happens if they don't receive an application from the beneficiary. He was an a***e. He told me not to interrupt him 3 times. Whether it is intimidation or just rudeness, he was on the phone about shutting a facility if they didn't provide access and he told me he wasn't concerned about me, just my dad. Bring copies of bills and payments made from the beneficiary - in my case, I spend more on my dad than he gets from pension - on caregivers to be with him. He/she will tell you that only payments made for his well being (or whatever terms he uses) and can only be spent on things for the ben. - caregivers, cakes for bday, dinners, etc). He will probably ask several times if you want the VA to hand this for him. YOU cannot use the money for paying bills, etc. He/she will tell you that even if you pay caregivers $30/hr to be with your dad, YOUR time has no value. Still, I have an option to help those who need access to the beneficiary's money. I'll post it if there's enough interest. As a note, I previously set up a fidiciary account at BofA, and now WellsFargo, but WF set it up wrong - I am the benefiary and my dad is the fiduciary - going today to correct it.
As for the VA's incompetance, my Dad lived in Idaho before coming here, so all documentation was going to IDaho and the no good brother who stole everything from him, including the letter that informs me that I was appointed as a fiduciary. Now the thing is - you need this letter to open the fiduciary account, which I did not get for 2 months, during which time the VA stopped automatic deposits and sent checks which I could not cash or deposit without the aforementioned letter. But everything is settling down and I am going to take my dad and live in Thailand with my fiance, who I have not seen for 3 years, when all this started.
Reply to happytravelling

Where do I get a POA I need one for my Dad,
Reply to jcdelp

Mudkrutch, no one here can tell you specifically if your mother qualifies, as qualification requires provision of a lot of documentation to the VA. Posters can only give you general information. To determine if she qualifies, you're going to have to go through a higher level of analysis.

Contact a local American Legion, VFW, or the VA directly to get information on how to start an application process. You might also be able to determine before providing the information whether or not the divorce would be a factor in qualification.

Situations are individual and need to be addressed that way, although there are certain parameters that generally apply.

Does my mother qualify for this? My dad is deceased and they were divorced and never remarried. She has dementia.
Reply to Mudcrutch2016

1 2 3 4 5