Rjt6511vet Asked December 2015

My Mother is the surviving widow of a WW II veteran. Is there any VA help for her?

She has dementia and I need help with in home care. Your website information is confusing. On one hand it says there is help available, then again it answers my question by saying "the VA does not provide services for "non veteran" spouses" which is totally not related to the question. I believe it would be more beneficial for me to speak with someone over the phone. My daughter and I care for my mother in our home. She is 98 years old. I am having a difficult time getting help for her through Medicare. The state wants me to provide information going back five years, which I don't have. She has been evaluated as nursing home eligible, however I want to take care of her as we always promised. I don't understand why it's so difficult for me. I have seen others get home care help, in home therapy, visiting nurses, music therapy, meals on wheels and any other available services. We are ordinary poor people. My mother's resources are meager, a burial fund of about $7600 (no life insurance). Please help me. Thanks, Roxiann

56

Answers

1 3 4 5
Psalm500 Feb 10, 2018
Also there is a little known program that will help pay for care of some veterans spouses nursing home care. Not sure what the qualifications are. Talk to a social worker at the VA
Reply to Psalm500

Psalm500 Feb 10, 2018
You didn't say if your father had service-connection for any injury/illnesses related to his WWII service. Please check with your local DAV, VFW, etc.
Reply to Psalm500

Rbooth1957 Aug 18, 2017
I don't know what state you live in but in CA your mom can take the burial money and make arrangements. That means she doesn't have the money. As for the medical secondary insurance. They will help you with help.
Reply to Rbooth1957

Empathy Jul 2017
My mother is also the surviving spouse of a deceased WWII veteran. She has Alzheimer's and I am her full time caretaker. She gets survivors benefits from the VA. In fact the amount she eventually is awarded will be retroactive from the day you apply. The process is not too complicated. You must fill out certain forms, get her doctors verification regarding her condition and necessity of a caregiver and submit sll forms to the VA. If you have a VA office near you, the personnel there can be very helpful in getting you the appropriate forms to fill out and helping you through the process. Good luck. Your mom is entitled to these benefits. They are enormously helpful to me in taking care of her.
Reply to Empathy

debdaughter Jan 2017
buffy, she's already getting a pension? did he retire from service?
Reply to debdaughter

Buffy1 Jan 2017
I am going through the same thing. I was told by DAV that the only help in her care is to get Aid and Attendance/DIC which is over and above the pension she receives from VA as a widow of a veteran. My dilemma is VA won't do anything more than the Aid and Attendance and we have to pay private care.
Reply to Buffy1

JK, some veterans' benefits are income dependent; others are not. It's not easy to navigate the VA's rules.

Veterans' service organizations such as American Legion and VFW provide FREE assistance in advising what your mother might qualify for, will prepare and submit the application for free as well.

Also research your county and state offices to see if they have veterans' agencies which would also offer free help.

These groups can prepare applications for what she might receive. Before you call, make a list of what kind of assistance you need - home care, medical care at the VA, etc.

You might also have to have the assistance of such a service or county organization to help you determine if your father's service connected disability was a factor in his death. If you don't have the sc/d papers, they can help you with that, I believe. You should also bring a copy of his death certificate.

You may have to get additional medical records relating to the sc/d, but ask the staff at the organization you visit to help guide you through the maze.

JKcaregiver Dec 2016
My father was in WW11 and died in 2000. My mom lives with me and has Alzheimer's. I went to the local VA office and was told my mom makes too much money on SSI to get help. In order to receive another type of help from the VA I have to prove my father passed away from service related injuries. I really believe my father received disability from the VA, but my mom has lost all paperwork. The local VA offered no assistance in checking on this. Like you I am frustrated and have no idea what to do. Workers at Medicaid have really irritated me. I applied for my mother over 4 months ago. I went into office yesterday and they said they needed copies of savings account. They never contacted me concerning this. They were just sitting on it. Probably waiting until time ran out. So, I will continue to pay out of my pocket to provide home care for my mother. I will make her as comfortable and happy as I can in my home for the time she has left.
Reply to JKcaregiver

I just spoke with a service officer at the Maryland Dept of Veterans Affairs to inquire if there is any help available to my Mom who is a widow. My Dad served in WWII in the US Navy. I was advised the Widows Pension would be available to her for Aide and Attendance as long as she did not have a monthly income level over $1,147. However you can count the costs for medications, supplies and paid help towards this, itemizing your deductions and it may help you qualify for assistance. It is with completing the application to see if you qualify. I my Moms case she does qualify. The only help she would be able to get without out of pocket is if she was in the Hospice Program. We are not quite there yet. We are trying to get a hospital bed to help her be more comfortable upon her return from the hospital as well as some in home health aide type care.
Reply to jujubeespmud

please send me the address to request a form for financial assistance for a widow of a WW11 veteran
Reply to gerierichman

1 3 4 5