I was wondering what kinds of things the residents like because I'm looking for a community service project for my family and school to do.

My family has been looking for a community service project for a while and I thought that maybe my school could be a part of it also. I just thought that giving back to the people we love and support was not enough, so why not love all of the people in this nursing home as well. That is why I thought doing this as well would be a great idea. Thank you so much for your time. Thanks, Camryn

25

Answers

1 2 3
I saw a brief clip recently that highlighted what Country Mouse detailed. The improvement in the outlook of the seniors and the increase in activity level was amazing. A real benefit for both the seniors and the youngsters to have that interaction and attention.

Definitely check with the facility. I remember as a child going to a nursing home and tap dancing for the facility and going to individual rooms to visit those who could not get out of their rooms. I remember how happy they were to see me and they made me feel like I was a special.

Wonderful story, CM. Before I moved in with my dad 2yrs ago, my newly married niece and her husband lived with my dad for 4yrs. Three of their four sons were born while living with him and now adore "Opa," who is the best story reader, broken-toy fixer, booboo kisser, and baby rocker. They learned to hold doors open and readily fetch things for him and give generous hugs and kisses. They do have to be gentle with Opa because his skin is so thin and tears and bruises easily. Also, these older folks have so much rich knowledge to share. My dad taught high school drafting, mechanical drawing, wood shop, and small engine repair, and farmed. My mother taught piano and grade school music, and sewed and knitted. Why not find out the backgrounds of residents and organize some group projects or homework help or lessons for older kids? Not sure what senior care facility regulations are, so just brainstorming.

Checking with the facility first, the children could read to the residents, help them do small puzzles and perhaps write a letter to their family for them.

Very enjoyable read, church mouse

Hoca has a group of visiting preschoolers and although I've never been there during the visit to see the interaction, I sometimes hear in the evening a bit of confusion about it - there were all these kids running about - maybe in a demented population it's more challenging to make a connection with a group

What I have heard that seems to work is when nursing students volunteer especially at mealtimes which can be very challenging - a little company and help makes a big difference

Years ago a woman in our Church started an outrich to the Churches homebound. We all picked a name. We were to visit when we could. Send cards for special occasions. Take small gifts. Could be baked goods or candy. One of the Sunday School teachers did this with her Jr. High class. You could have lunch with the residents. Sitting a couple of students at ea table. There may be a small cost for lunch. I used to take my 4 yr old grandson the residents loved him. He would play ball

When I was a kid, we made "favors" to put on the food trays at the Veteran's Hospital. Usually some paper craft - 3D. We loved doing them and occasionally got to deliver them.

And the old folks can teach them what they did in WW2, hm?

Lord love us and save us.

Still! - Good teaching opportunity there, GA? At least the lass is willing to learn?

I recently spoke with a candidate for city council, to decide whether or not I would vote for her. She seemed to be an aggressive advocate for change, so I asked her what she would suggest doing about an ineffective senior center that seemed to be focused only on planning trips or classes and provides no outreach to the resident seniors.

She enthusiastically said she wanted to integrate older and younger folks more, to create more interaction and sharing. When I asked for specifics, the only plan she had in mind was for younger people to teach older folks how to use tech gadgets. Duh.

Not all old people love children, but some do. Just prepare the kids to be rebuffed and move on to the next oldster.

1 2 3