I live in Oregon. In September of last year, my father was released into my care from a Southern California rehab facility after suffering a stroke. His caseworker there thought it was best with how “young” my stepsister was. Now with him here, he is depressed and is like a fish out of water. He wants to be down in Southern California where most of the family and all his friends are. He should qualify for Medi-Cal without issue, and he is on Medicare. Is there any way to set it up from Oregon? Also if I knew how long it would roughly take if he moved in with family down there, I might get them to open their doors for him. Thanks

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
AL s have different rules in each state. Usually are private pay with someone from family to provide certan personal items otherwise there is a high markup for supplies.If you move him back, consider who will take him to appointments, order meds and fill bins, provide personal care equipment, ensure he gets a haircut, pay bills, etc. Does he have support in CA other than family visits. You will have to re enroll his insurance back to CA. Meanwhile he had a life changing event which can cause depression and he can no longer live by himself. You now have to take on the responsibility perhaps because the social worker could not find a close by family member to do so.

Your first option is to find that willing family member back in CA
Helpful Answer (0)
budney Sep 2018
Thanks for the reply MACinCT, with all the research I’ve done it does come down to family or very close friend taking him in. The one to help would be my stepsister, but she is not the brightest bulb in the bunch (nice as I can be). I have even told her that I would stay down there for as long as it takes to get him set up there, but no action is being done on her end.

Just as have ave come to terms with everything that has happened, and how things are. I get news that my back is not in good shape. A spine specialist wants me to see a neurosurgeon, I have an appointment on the 8th of October. Also my father had his yearly review with Senior and Disabled Service today. It looks like they maybe cutting the hours of caregiving he receives, This could put a lot more stress and strain on me mentally and physically.
Thanks for replying jeannegibbs.

My dad would go along with being placed in an AL in SoCal if it meant seeing family and friends, and especially the grandkids. No one I have talked to has the room for him to fully move into their homes. I hope to find info on the wait times in SoCal for AL after appyling for Medi-Cal. If I can present it to family I might get them to open their home for the time needed, it could extend to my mom's side of the family if I ask.

His stroke happened on the left side of the brain. In reading up on strokes of his type on the left side it is common for the person to have some level of depression. With that said, his depression worsened after his week long trip to SoCal to see family. He is now on a low dose of Zoloft, which seems to be helping a bit. I wouldn't doubt that some of his depression comes from the reduced independence, but my dad is the old fashioned type that doesn't like to show weakness or talk about such things to family. He will sometimes open up to his caregiver. I think it's a bit hard for him to talk about it too because of the stroke/confussion and his lack of education (8th grade???).

I talked to the Agency on Aging in Riverside County, in CA they do the agency by county. The lady said he would have to be in California to signup for Medi-Cal, since he is on Medicare/Medicaid it would be instant transition, but could not get me any information with AL waiting times. She did mention about a AL transfer from Oregon to SoCal, but could not give my any solid information.
Helpful Answer (1)

Your father would prefer to be in Southern California. Is he accepting of the possibility of being in AL there? Are there family members there willing and suitable to take him in? What would really be best for him -- any way of knowing?

It is possible that Dad is "like a fish out of water" so far from other family and friends. And it is also possible that his depression is a result of the reduced independence he has since the stroke. Or the stroke itself may have caused changes in his brain that show up as depression.

Moving him back to familiar territory may be a good thing. But you should be aware of the possibility that the move may not solve his unhappiness.

Can you set up getting him on Medi-Cal from Oregon? I don't see why you can't prepare an application from where ever you are (there is an application form available online), if you have access to all his financial records.

I believe there is a California residency requirement, although I don't know if there is a length-of-time for that residency. Can you apply the day you move to California? Do you have to have lived there at least x months? I don't know!

I suggest that you call the Area Agency on Aging in Southern California and ask about residency requirements, and also the average length of time from submitting application to getting a decision.

Meanwhile, I hope that your father will get some treatment for his depression, if he is not already. This will be useful whether he stays in Oregon or moves to California, and whether he goes to an Assisted Living Facility or lives with family. Clinical depression is a disease, and it is seldom cleared up by a change in living conditions (although that can certainly contribute to treatment).
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter