We just took my 92 year old dad to the hospital for a swallowing problem because we thought he might have had an allergic reaction (his head got clogged up too). It cleared after a couple hours for him. This has happened more than once and we haven't been able to figure out a cause. He always ends up being fine. They did end up bringing in a speech therapist to help him with his swallowing problems.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to Babs75

The “reason” for dysphasia is important.
Is it from stroke?
End stage Alzheimer’s?
Polyps? Esophageal strictures?
Cancer? Neurological problems?
Head trauma? Poor dental condition causing choking on large pieces?
Is the difficulty with food pieces or liquids?
Also, how old is the person?
Has the person had an esophagoscopy? Results?
Been seen by a speech therapist? (they often do swallow evaluations).
More information is needed.

If liquids are the problem, there is a product called ThickIt. You stir the powder into thin liquids to make them thicker and easier to swallow. If you can’t find it in the pharmacy, it’s on Amazon.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to SueC1957

There is a test that can be done. You really need to talk to her doctor about this.

You don't say if Mom has dementia. In last stage swallowing becomes a problem. By then, though, they are not eating or drinking either. It pretty much the end of life.

Usually when having this problem, soft foods are given. Scrambled eggs (which Mom disliked), mashed potatoes, soups, etc.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to JoAnn29

Click on 'care topics' at the top RHS of the screen. Scroll down the alphabetic list till you get to 'swallowing'. Lots of help there!
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to MargaretMcKen

Try searching dysphagia, which is the medical term for difficulty swallowing.
Helpful Answer (3)
Reply to cwillie

What about it?

Care to elaborate?
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to NeedHelpWithMom

Ask a Question

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter