Can dad use Amazon Echo in a facility? - AgingCare.com

Can dad use Amazon Echo in a facility?

My 90 year old dad fell and has a subdural hematoma. Surgery is not an option. He's been in the hospital for observation to get his 3 midnights, and is moving to rehab/skilled nursing facility this afternoon. We are looking for a way to have music there & he's used to using the Echo at home. Does it make sense to bring one with us?

3

Answers

Doesn't the Echo require wi-fi?
Reply to blannie

I did not take my husband's Echo for same reason stated by FF but instead bought a clock CD player at Goodwill and asked the aides to play a CD from the box I have in his nightstand when he is resting during the day. Of course I am not sure if they do this very often but I do it for him the few times I am in his room. I also play Pandora on my phone while we sit together on the patio after dinner each evening. Since he no longer communicates it is a shared "activity" as we hold hands and enjoy the sunshine.
Reply to JoAnnS

altopower, check with the facility first to see if Echo's or similar devices are even allowed.

With any facility where there is a mix of people with physical issues and/or memory lost issues, items do tend to disappear. Thus, it is important not to have anything of cost sitting in a room. Usually it is the residents with memory issues who see something they like and walk off with it.... they no longer realize they are doing something wrong.