Can anyone recommend a safe (edible?) facial lotion that is not harmful if ingested or gets into the eyes?

My mother-in-law, who has moderate dementia, loves lotion. We've had to remove it, as well as liquid soaps and mouthwash from her bathroom because she rubbed them onto her face, into her eyes, and into her mouth. I put clear water into an empty mouthwash bottle so she could enjoy the motions of using a lotion. But her face and hands get dry, and she would enjoy using it on her own.
I recently removed the toothpaste after I entered her room to find it rubbed all over her face. I used a warm washcloth to gently wash her eyes, hoping none had gotten into them!
I hate removing these little luxuries from her, but must do so for her safety.

17

Answers

As cwille suggested, pure coconut oil is a great moisturizer, it's safe/good/healthy to eat (spread in a thin layer and refrigerate... and tastes like a Mounds bar without the chocolate! LOL), and won't harm eyes.

I thought so too Pam, but I did a quick search and apparently neem oil can be taken internally, as can all the other ingredients. The only essentials to the recipe are some type of oil/oils of your choice, beeswax and water, so the neem can be left out. Besides, I doubt Cathy will be letting her eat it by the spoonful.

Cathy, the ingredients are not all digestible in that. Especially neem oil.

Thanks for all the ideas. A gardener friend recommended making this hopefully "Simple 3 Ingredient Non-Greasy Homemade Lotion," so will see how it works

Mica, my mom too. Had to replace pump style soap with old fashioned bar soap. More than once she used the soap as lotion. Second time, the pumps were replaced.

Mica, I know it must have been awful but I just had to chuckle about that!

Oh another thing my mom would do- she thought the pump-style liquid soap was hand lotion, had to get that out of bathroom and kitchen. My worst experience was when she put the dish liquid into the refrigerator and then poured herself a glassfull.

Olive oil is safe unless she eats a lot of it, which would probably give her diarrhea.

I just remembered; I've seen facial lotions made from food - strawberries I believe. The recipes were in the Herb Quarterly. Google "Herb quarterly facial lotion recipes" and you'll get a lot of hits.

Generally a facial lotion will contain some specific herbs as well as a carrier oil, such as almond oil. I haven't tried making my own b/c the carrier oils are generally very expensive and I'm not ready to experiment yet as I don't have the consistent herbal supplies I'll need from my garden.

Over the last several months I've seen a magazine with herbal remedies in the grocery store magazine section. If you're near a good book store, check it out. Barnes and Noble might have some good books on herbal facial lotions as well. Just make sure that the ingredients are in fact edible.

aw, I had to go through this with my mom.
I had to hide ALL bathroom, kitchen,toothpaste, cleaning supplies- everything.Even the soap. Please put everything in a locked cabinet or VERY high and not let her see you get it.
I switched to baby shampoo and soap because she would get it into her eyes. Childrens toothpaste because it would get swallowed. I would apply the lotion all over everyday.