Dad is a senior who qualifies for SSI and Medicaid along with Medicare. Can an adult child who has an income move in with a parent to assist around the home or does that disqualify the parent for SSI?

Find Care & Housing

Income, for the purposes of SSI includes:

money you earn from work;
money you receive from other sources, such as Social Security benefits, workers compensation, unemployment benefits, the Department of Veterans Affairs, friends or relatives; and
free food or shelter.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to gladimhere

SSI is based on household income. I do believe it’s possible your dad could lose his SSI if your siblings income puts their household income over the limit.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to worriedinCali

Yes! One has nothing to do with the other. Both parties may below may have different types of SSI or the same. However, SSI is Federal and not State. You will not lose your SSI just because you moved in with mom that is the law.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to Shell38314
Questionbox33 Jul 31, 2019
So he would still possibly be able to keep SSI? Possibly? It would be an adult child who works producing an income moving in with a senior parent to help out as far as cooking cleaning you know household stuff and some inhome care like helping with medication due to him always forgetting to take it pills and insulin. Just really living there to make sure he is ok.
I would recommend that you talk with his social worker to know for certain how he would be affected.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to Isthisrealyreal

Ask a Question

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter