Is there a better solution for dry skin than using Baby Oil?

Mom always wants to use baby oil on her skin right after her shower. Next day her skin is still flaky. I was wondering if there is a lotion that would keep her skin more moist. She bathes about two to three times a week.

24

Answers

1 2 3
I worked for dermatologist office, and they recommended Cera'Ve! It comes in a tub, and there might be a generic available now. It's great stuff!

Unfiltered, unprocessed coconut oil.
Cheap, and the best moisturizer around.

Americans are lotion lovers, but in Europe and other parts of the world, oil is actually the more popular option for hydrating dry skin—and there are differences between the two. Some manufacturers have to add all sorts of fillers and emulsifiers to create creamy lotion, while certain plant-based oils are super effective at keeping us hydrated and radiant without needing the added ingredients.

Good old counut oil is the best. Evenolive oil works it ber than any lottion you can buy.

Coconut body butter from trader joes has coconut oil, shea butter, & vit. E.
Makes my fingernails shiny.
Or Aveeno, many formulas.
Shower/bathe, keep skin a bit moist, then rub in the cream.
OR, really lather on a rich, cheaper oil or lotion, all over, then shower. Use soap only on private parts, rinse. Do not over-shower. Use the lotion as soap.
And, use a moisturizing shower gel, I like melaleuca brand lavender is relaxing.

Baby oil has mineral oil and artificial fragrances. If your mom has any chemical sensitivities (and a lot of older people do) - best to stay away from any artificial fragrances, artificial ingredients and mineral oil.
Try organic coconut oil. Simple and very effective. Or, visit a good health food store and ask about lotions that are all natural.

There is also creamy baby oil if she only wants "baby oil", I think it works better on my legs, and you can get it at the Dollar store if you want.

I second the recommendation on Cera'Ve. They have a formula, a creme that is for "rough and bumpy skin", it comes in a white jar with a blue screw on top. It is literally a MIRACLE. I also recommend UdderlySmooth, a creme that comes in various containers that have a cow print on the outside. It was initially created for cow udders during the difficult mechanical milking machine period. It is found to be one of the best moisturizers...and as a bonus it does not stain or mark fabric (which is great for me, as I am a cross stitcher and like to have lotion on my hands, but don't want to ruin my hand dyed fabric.

Angel

Yes, Please go on a web site called the Shea Butter Hut and purchase 100% Shea lotion, you will not believe the difference.

Awesome, Thanks for the ideas.

1 2 3