Follow

With me, it's the TV. My mom is so sick and weak with kidney disease that TV is pretty much her only source of entertainment. That wouldn't be quite so bad if she still understood how to work the remote, but dementia has erased that ability. If she isn't able to watch TV, she usually just goes back to bed...then ends up in a state of delirium from depression and too much sleep. So now I am the one in charge of her entire world of entertainment.

Before I started staying with mom, I was used to a different life, where I mostly listened to music or enjoyed silence. I'm not really a TV person. When I did watch stuff, I'd be that person who binged a season of whatever on my days off, or watched movies with friends, and then didn't watch anything for days at a time. Now I have to babysit the TV every day, every time my mom is out of bed.

If there's a timer system on mom's TV or service provider that lets you schedule channel changes, I haven't found it yet. Plus there are a billion channels but not a lot of stuff mom can watch. I'm really grateful for streaming services. Being able to work the On Demand is my new superpower. I upped mom's bandwidth to unlimited just to accommodate her watching. I now keep a notebook with a list of what's on which channel, and how long it is, so that I can plan how long I can be away from the remote. I've even taught mom about binge-watching (for selfish reasons - so I can put on Netflix and know it will go straight to the next episode without me). I'm thinking about getting a wireless HDMI setup so I can try running stuff from my laptop (preferably in another room!).

What about you? Is there something you now have to be in charge of that you never expected would be part of your daily life when you took this on?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Dorianne, the whole da...ed journey is filled with weird, maybe not all of it every day but every day something.

The first time I trimmed mom's toenails -helped her shower-wiped her bum-cut her hair-.............

The frustration of navigating the healthcare system and home care, talking to "experts" who should know better than you do but seemingly don't.

The days you realize she doesn't really remember who you are, or who she is either.

BUT, hopefully you find some positives in your caregiving experiences too.
(12)

That's fair. All those things for me, too - I guess I was sort of hoping for stories of the "lighter side" of weird, lol.

All I knew about caregiving, or had read about as possibilities I never expected babysitting the television to be on the list! :-)
(3)

My Mom is gone now but one task I took on that I never ever thought I'd be responsible for was shaving her chin hairs. At one point she looked like she was growing a beard, no lie. When I realized no one else was going to do it, it became my job among other things.
(15)

Here's an old thread you might find amusing...

www.agingcare.com/discussions/you-know-you-are-caregiver-if-163390.htm
(1)

I became the clock-master. When the time changed (like this weekend), I'd have to go over the day before and change all of mom's clocks (my dad loved clocks, so mom still had a lot of clocks). Then I'd have to write her a note to tell her the clocks were an hour ahead (or behind) until the next day. Mom died this May, so this is the first time I didn't have to remember to go over to change her clocks.
(8)

I didn't expect having to attend Mother's groups with her and her friends every week atleast once a week and usually more and while I had some really tasty lunches,I was always uncomfortable being there because it was Mother's friends and I felt like I should stay out of their conversations.I just felt out of place.
(8)

Kind of like me taking mom to the hairdresser for her weekly wash and set. When I first moved home I would just take her in and go, but as she began to need more help I pulled up a chair to wait with all the other old ladies.
(10)

Oh yeah cwillie,the beauty shop was something else!One good thing though was that the hairdresser could pull out the chair so I could get Mom there in her wheelchair and that was handy......I never dreamed I'd be putting in Mother's curls every night though,but then we all had to be jacks of trades .Drivers,hairdressers,waiters,maids,entertainment committees,bathgivers,you name it and WE DID IT!
(9)

Oh gosh. Mom is finally ready to go to the hairdresser since I started staying here and picking up the pieces. I never thought of what that will be like!!!! I booked the appointment for next Tuesday....she wants a perm....
(5)

I got the official duty of C.C.C. Cat Claw Clipper. I do believe, I was suspose to consider it an honor. God Lord - my mother loved that cat. She had nearly an entire page devoted to his care and comfort in her DPOA document!

Huge cat. He didn’t like me much even before my promotion.

Enough said.
(18)

Ha ha! Rainmom, that is such a strong visual, it belongs in one of those Focker Family movies!! :-D
(6)

Where do I start. Black head remover, toenail trimmer, colostomy caregiver, potty chair cleaner. Those were are the tough ones for an originally squeamish person.
(8)

Picture this ladies. Sixty three yr old man, me, entering dept store with 86 year old moms undies and bra in a plastic groc bag to try and match sizes due to tags being worn off. Luckily a sweet older women clerk noticed my forlorn look, pitched in to help and saved the day.

The stuff fit perfectly but of course mom complained. They just weren’t quite like her stuff from 1957.
(20)

Medical research expert because the person who has the condition won't look up the info about treatments because she is playing games on her computer. No joke....
(5)

All of it. It is so strange. Having to be at home and with the tv on all the time. I am beginning to hate all those old shows. Mom doesn't like anything modern. I miss the quiet but that is ok. At least mom can stay with us.
(4)

@Windyridge - Up until I moved mom here to take care of her, I had a 2nd job in a ladies clothing store. We saw confused and forlorn men in the store - and especially in the "intimate apparel" section - at least a few times a week, plus many times a day right before any gift-giving holidays! No worries, you are NOT alone. :-)

@Rie144 - I miss the quiet too! Desperately! Sometimes too much noise makes me jumpy.  But I did just get mom to binge both seasons of Stranger Things with me, so I should remember to be grateful she is open to newer stuff. :-)
(7)

The Tv on 24 hours a day. Same station. Fox. When she goes to bed, she has the light on, the door opened, and Fox. When I come up later in the evening to my room, her dog who is down the hall starts growling. Another bizarre thing, is she now stands up and watches me sweep the floor, take garbage out , just about everything I do she watches. And who ever said being the remote control baby sitter was so right. My mother would probably have a nervous breakdown if she couldn’t get Fox on. Sometimes the cable goes out, Then I wish I had a few meds of my own.
(7)

Dorianne, thanks for you comment. I have since done lots of shopping for mom and done caregiving chores that  few sons have but I’m the last kid left so whatcha gonna do.

But I’ve bout given up on trying to buy her clothes. She’s a large busted lady, things have moved now, and nothing suits her. She has some old, old blouses and slacks and that’s all she’ll wear. I’m contemplating patching her old stuff with duct tape at this point.
(12)

I adore duct tape! There’s nothing that can’t be fixed with enough duct tape.
(5)

The handyman’s secret weapon!
(5)

@Erinm60 - I am the remote babysitter, lol. Thank goodness mom is more an MSNBC person rather than a Fox person!!!! Though since I took over the remote, I am trying to discourage her from watching too much news, because I think the American news (we are Canadian) was contributing to her depression.

@Windyridge - duct tape and WD40 are often all I ever need, ha ha! Hey if your mom is busty, you might consider going to a plus size store for some things, like Lane Bryant in the US. The staff in those stores are usually used to working with women of all ages and body types, and if they don't sell it, they will know where to find it (especially when it comes to bras). You can even order online, and usually you can just return it to your local brick and mortar store if it doesn't fit. I've started ordering some specialty things for mom online too - like hip protector pants - because it's much cheaper than going through the local medi-supply place.  (Edit:  sometimes it's faster too, because the medi-supply place often has to order stuff in.)
(6)

Dorianne and Erinm60, I agree about the TV news stations causing a strange mood. My Mom, age 84, also binge watches (12 years now) MSNBC, CSPAN, and police type shows. She has her own senior equipped apartment on the ground floor of my home. She keeps the TV so loud I can hear it clearly on the 2nd floor. She even sleeps in front of the TV. If I turn it off while she's sleeping, she soon awakes and turns it back on...louder. At my request, she had her hearing checked - no significant loss of hearing. Its kinda scary how she mirrors the attitudes of the talking heads on the news channels. She remembers and angrily/excitedly relays all the political drama, yet can't remember if she ate breakfast. My husband's father, age 90, has the 24/7 FOX News habit. Glad I'm a gardener and can get away from the noise....
(6)

After all the dealings with hospitals and NH's for rehab, I had my Mom bedridden in my home for 8 months on hospice.She passed away 2 years ago peacefully.
I would get up at 3 or 4am just to have some "me time" on the computer or reading. Then I would begin the day by emptying her catheter bag, cleaning bowel movement, giving insulin shots, and stage 4 wound treatment that nurses taught me to do for the wound she developed in the first NH rehab. Then I would prepare her breakfast tray and wait for the aide to come give Mom a bath, wait for the nurse to come, then the lunch tray, empty catheter bag, nap, and dinner tray, and get Mom ready to sleep for the night. All the while watching for UTI's and delirium and learning everything I could about any medical conditions encountered. I never in my wildest dreams before pictured myself doing these types of things, but I am deeply grateful for all the training I received and developed an even deeper respect for people in the care and medical professions. Despite the rough decline, I am now glad my Mom found peace and that I was able to get her to her final destination. Sometimes we do things we never thought we could do when actually faced with the situation.
(10)

Well, all I can say is for starters I'm 25 (please don't say anything I've heard it enough) I've been looking after my grandma for 4 years after my granddad died (who had Alzheimer's) and she's definitely getting worse. Not sure what I'd say is weird other than the fact that because of dementia my gm went from being selfish n everything's about her (I've been told she's always been like this) to a selfish person who has a servant to do whatever she wants (namely me) asking if I can refill her water when I get up (even if I'm just sitting with no intention of getting up or if I do get up and head away from the kitchen) can I get her a snack, can I, can I, can I. Which I know I wasn't ready for, but my granddad was the opposite. He was always sweet and the only difference with him was he lost his memory. As of now my grandma is still able to be home however because of the stress she's put on me the last 5, 6 years I stopped going over (she lives across the street) but i don't know her future and am afraid my job isn't done (I do live with my parents, but my mom's in denial and puts all blame on any attitudes I have towards my grandma or whatever I'm like around her on me despite I think you could possibly describe how my gm treated me as verbal abuse) I've finally just got to i say nothing around my gm and my mom still gets mad because I don't say anything, like she got mad because I didn't say hi back to her... (I'm supposed to say hello to my grandma??????)
(3)

At age 77 I have never had to take my car for an oil change, rotate tires and that sort of thing. I also have to do heavy work like "try" to get a screen door, or sliding closet door back on the runners and I just can't do it by myself. I've always been quite independent - never asked for help until I realized I couldn't do something myself. I've even tried to work on the lawn mower by reading the manual to find out why it wouldn't start, but ended up having to call small engine repair. I am now so TIRED of trying to do it all myself that I have got to do something about it and I don't know what!!  My husband has never been one to call repairmen either since he was quite capable himself UNTIL NOW.  I definitely need a handy man, but am concerned about getting one who knows what they are doing.  Guess I'd better start asking for recommendations.
(4)

I enjoyed this discussion. And can relate to the chin hairs, manicures, bra shopping, being a bathroom attendant, maid, therapist, activity director, etc. There's not much left that I haven't done for my mom. All of it unexpected when I began the caregiving journey after my dad's death.
But I appreciated the reminder to keep things on the lighter side so here's a couple of stranger things.
My mom is now in a Memory Care facility and every day before I leave I make sure to "report" that mom has done her daily BM so it can be charted. For some reason she waits to go until I'm there. It cracks me up how the staff is so appreciative of hearing the news. And I shake my head in wonderment that this is what my life has become.
Second, believe it or not experience was the time I had to kill the imaginary bugs crawling on the wall when mom was hallucinating. I was grabbing tissues and smashing invisible bugs right and left. Even stomped one on the floor for good effect. It was a bit surreal but from reading I'd done I decided it was better to just go along with it and it calmed things down right away.
As always, especially with leftover turkey in the fridge, I'm thankful for the wonderful people on this site who make the weirdest and hardest things manageable because of their advice and support and good humor.
(11)

I had not anticipated her breadth of acceptable foods dwindling. She ate frog legs, escargot - all kinds of food. But in her illness as time passed more and more things were struck off the acceptable list. We got down to about five items she would eat, and it would upset her if I ate something different. She passed nine months ago and I still have not been able to bring myself to eat a baked sweet potato or a grilled cheese sandwich.

The other surprise was the obsessive hiding of Oreos. I just found another one last week. They are stashed in the most unexpected places, one here, one there. I could be finding them for years to come.
(11)

Talking in his sleep. After he was sent home to die Christmas 2015, he now talks in his sleep. I catch snippets of his earlier life, lol.

Not funny at 3am - but funny at 3pm.

to Wittm1 - now that is unique!  And I thought it was bad when we played, "where the heck is the hearing aid today?"
(5)

LOL - what happened to the dentures??? Wrapped up in a tissue and stuck in a teapot on the stove, of course - where else?? .... Where is the purse with the wallet in it (god knows why the wallet was still in it!) - why, in a bag down in the basement where the shoddy old Christmas stuff is kept, of course - where else?? ... Where, oh where, is the receiver for the phone now? ... why, stuck down in between the couch cushions, of course - where else?? .... I will never forget my mom's main (paid) caregiver went up to see her once we got her in the nursing home, and she called me to tell me about it, and said 'Oh, your mother needs some new bras!' I burst out laughing, she was in a wheelchair with dementia, didn't even know where she was, and she needed new BRAS? LOL....poor mom, she did her best to stay independent. She actually bought a book on 'Easy Home Repair Situations' - for a 70 year old house. God bless. We all did our best for her, until there was no more money, no one to do things any more....I will never eat Jello or bananas or fruit cocktail again.  Until *I'm* in a Home and they put it in front of me - whee!
(5)

Dorianne - even CTV can be depressing - stay away from the american style news as it is too much of 'how can we out gross the other network' - I stopped watching years ago when a major Canadian event happened but never made it on air - she will always be disconnected as she won't be able to recognize the places

Joke - why does god make so many american 'operation events' happen in out of way places? - answer .. someone has to teach them geography!!
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter