Follow

The Cons are fairly clear – it’s confusing if you try to give a genuine answer, and don’t know which one of the multiple fakes gave which information. It’s ridiculous when the fakes all ‘like’ each other, ‘ vote each other ‘helpful’, or put in supportive answers to their own fake comments. And it must drive Admin around the bend when post after post gets a ‘delete’ request – and multiple fakers aren’t usually pleasant helpful posters. A waste of valuable Admin time.

The Pros? A fresh start if you think you’ve put your foot in it? That’s all I can think of. Too difficult to stop it if the fakers have access to multiple email addresses? Rules don’t currently provide for other ‘names’ to show on profiles?

What do you think?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
JoAnn, "Someone posted that her husband tried to set up an account from a shared computer and got a message that 2 separate accts can't be setup on the same IP address so there is some kind of failsafe. If more than one acct is being set up, must be using two different devises to do it. "

No, this person is mistaken. Accounts aren't connected to different devices but rather email addresses. Otherwise, we'd not be able to access the forum from our laptop, table and mobile phones. You can sign into AC.com from any device (even one that you don't own) using your login credentials.
(2)

JoAnn, the mods DID address the multiple accounts issue in this comment they left on the thread causing lots of dissent:

Disola21,

I'm sorry that your experience on AgingCare hasn't been a wholly pleasant one. We encourage healthy conversation here, which frequently includes differing opinions, experiences, and points of view. We also try to keep moderator interference to a minimum.

Family caregivers are often under a great deal of stress, so disagreements, criticism, blunt responses, and tough love can be poorly-received on occasion. It happens. Please know that most times these "difficult" answers come from fellow caregivers with a great deal of experience and good intentions. Regardless, reacting with insults, profanity, or name calling is never permitted. The discussion on both your questions has taken an extremely negative turn in recent days and therefore they've been closed to new comments.

You've received some constructive advice from others. As many members have recommended to one another over the years: Use what works for you and ignore the rest.

A friendly reminder to all moving forward: please be respectful. The purpose of this forum is to provide family caregivers a safe space to connect and learn from one another. Disrupting the function of this forum, including the use of multiple accounts, does not support this purpose.

For reference, you can find our full member comment policy here:https://www.agingcare.com/aboutus/member-comment-policy.If you cannot follow these guidelines, then AgingCare is not a good fit for your caregiver support needs.

Thank you all for your ongoing patience and contributions here. You are what makes this community so special. Please feel free to PM this account if you have any questions or concerns.

-AgingCareCM
(2)

Someone posted that her husband tried to set up an account from a shared computer and got a message that 2 separate accts can't be setup on the same IP address so there is some kind of failsafe. If more than one acct is being set up, must be using two different devises to do it.

I have had a message from a longtime member that she is being bombarded with PMs accusing her of having several different profiles. She reported it to Admin.

I wish that Admin would come in and tell people if this having other profiles is possible. Its causing a lot of detention.
(0)

I remember a poster from a long while back (wow, have I been at this so long?!) whose account messed up for some reason and she had to create a new account. For a very long while she posted keeping her new screen name with her old one next to it, and often said she was “formerly known as …..” This made it clear who she was and that she had nothing to hide or be deceptive about. That’s the only way I see it being legit or right. Otherwise it creates a mess, one that’s often exactly what is wanted
(3)

IMO there is no "pro" to having more than 1 account. If you take verbal dump in someone's thread (or even your own) your account gets suspended for like a month. Then if you do it again, permanent ban. Two strikes and you're out. Twitter used to do this. As long as the guidelines were clear and carried out swiftly and consistently then this is not rocket science.
(8)

One account with the option, if you have goofed and been removed, to come back once. More than one account is, to me, abuse of the privilege of becoming a member and amounts to game playing/attention getting, malicious or otherwise.
(5)

No. The administrator should not allow multiple accounts. If someone 'puts their foot in it' as you say, they should just own it and apologize. Take the heat from the other members on the forum and then everyone can move on.
One person. One account. No multiples because they're almost always trolls.
(6)

I have found that this is more apt to get a response sooner (you might want to bookmark it)

AgingCareCM

https://www.agingcare.com/members/agingcarecm
(3)

I think we should have one account at a time. That is to say, I would hope if we stepped in "it", and got ourselves taken off Forum, that we might return to try again, having learned a lesson.
But no, no two accounts.
But Margaret I will say this. We have seen accusations of multiple accounts lately that I am quite certain are malicious and untrue. WE cannot be the arbiters of who has two accounts running UNLESS the OP does what one did yesterday, which is to answer "I" under two names.
This is the times of Social media. I think that the admins are few and far between and they cannot check the people who come " back" easily. It is not hard to create multiple emails out here and many people have them.
My opinion is that when the admins see a poster reported several time, and they could have a list, they should start with "burying those posts". Idiots like me are drawn to these folks and we respond to them and keep them up top, which is not good on a legit site like this. When burying doesn't work and the poster returns to name call and cause fighting and dissension they should get a warning. When that doesn't work, boom, they should be gone. If they want to return and try to be "nice", great. If they AREN'T nice, not great. And gone again. Thanks for bringing this up, Margaret. It's been a bad week on agingcare and I am blaming the Blood Moon.
freqflyer: Not just profanity which I can take or leave, but namecalling such as "douchebag" and etc.
gladimhere: You have made me ashamed of myself, and been my teacher. Thanks. I am going to attempt to be a better girl in future.
Countrymouse: I think that the normal way of emailing our admins isn't working. I have seen posts directed here in discussions to our admins work better. It is hard to get a real email with a real person.
As I go out......what hurts me most is when we attack one another. I got a private message from someone I greatly respect this a.m. telling me goodbye. We who have been here long enough to survive a few years have done soooo much good, and have for the most part been so supportive of one another. Thru so much. I am going to endeavor to be better. I promise.
(4)

MargaretMcKen, what bothers me is that the website is allowing profane language [which the Guidelines do not allow] to remain the site hours after being notified of such material.
(9)

If you thought that "out break" was bad, you've just had only a small taste of what's on social media on any given day. It won't stop on its own so we need to ignore it. Let OPs report it when someone flings poo in their post. Don't even post that you're reporting it because that also feeds it, IMO. Radio silence from everyone else.
(7)

I agree CM, what a mess today and oh, so, proudly led by some of the long timers today, SEVERAL of them. It became downright childish, especially when they start ganging up on another poster.

It is absolutely sickening!! Several threads need to be taken down!
(8)

Margaret, there are one or two threads that I reverse out of at speed. They're usually pretty easy to spot, and as my mother always (often wrongly, but it sometimes works) said "just ignore them and they'll go away." At the very least you haven't wasted your time on getting involved.

There are already rules governing conduct on the forum so I'd suggest simply reporting any poster or any post which you feel is really out of order to the moderators. But I've also found AC receptive to suggestions - email them with ideas for improvement and I'm sure you'll get a civil reply.
(11)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter