Does anyone know what a "catfish"is? I was watching a show about this. It is about people who make up personas for forums. Mostly it is on dating sites and the catfish uses fake names, profile pictures and start relationships with people under false pretences. Usually the fakers are just lonely people with low self esteem who do not think people will really like the real them so they make themselves prettier, more educated, with better jobs and more lofty hobbies and talents. But it got me thinking. Do we have any catfish here? And if we do should we care?
What if , hypothetically, I found out we did. Hypothetically what if I was bored with a bad cold and googled some posters on here and found out that we have our very own catfish? HYPOTHETICALLY. Would you want to know? Would it matter? What of I did , hypothetically, out the catfish and the poor people were so distraught that it caused them much emotional pain? Maybe these people are just really lonely. Who cares if they really are not caregivers. Right? But what if these same catfish sometimes wrote hurtful things on here. Would that change the situation any? Or is it still not anyone's place to out them. HYPOTHETICALLY. I mean we all embellish some, right? Maybe I am not such a good person with my Mom as I write. Should I be outted?

This was a by interesting show and there is also a documentary of anyone is interested. It is called-Catfish.

I would really like to know what one would do if they, hypothetically, discovered a catfish. Please.

Nah, I don't worry about it. I assume some people on here lie. If not, it must the only board in cyber space where there are no liars. But we are not sending them money or setting up dates with them or giving them our social security number. So where is the harm? Someone desperate enough to be a catfish on a caregivers support form probably needs attention as much as a real caregiver.

If someone is saying hurtful things to others, we pretty well police that ourselves and also have the option of reporting the hurtful post with a single click. It doesn't really matter whether the hurtful poster is a genuine caregiver or an imposter. Nasty comments get lots of feedback and can eventually get the poster kicked off.

If I knew for sure that someone claiming to take care of both parents and making nasty comments to other was really a college student who doesn't even call her parents except for money I would be inclined to report that to the site administrator, but I wouldn't go out of my way to track that down.

It is an interesting topic. Not one I'd lose any sleep over on this particular board, though.

oh hell yea. my avatar of kaiser wilhelm 11 is so pretty it gives ME an erection. im kiddin with ya mishka. i dont really care what motive one has for visiting these sites. some people just like to be controversial but controversy still provokes discussion and the various views are infinately educational. im a guy who already gets some pretty skeptical looks from hospice and docs so i want to do an exceptionally good job of caregiving just to teach em a lesson about judging people based on their appearance. its as ignorant as racism and just as damaging..

its been fun bein the capn for 13 years but im going to change my truck signs to " criminal mischief " masonry pretty soon. long story. if ya cheat me outta money when im already really treating you well im probably going to run over your lawn hydrant , enjoy the geiser in my rear view mirror and tell the judge i shoulda ran over your throat instead.
wait, this isnt the anger management group. never mind..

This was fun, Mishka! You are a darling girl! Even when we are not sure exactly what to do in certain situations, it helps to have support and different opinions. Everyone does care here. Enjoy the Present--it is gone so quickly. We don't know what tomorrow will bring. Maybe not what we expect or hope for, but what we must embrace, as it becomes the present. I'm all philosophized out for the day:) xoxo

I worry a little about people maybe holding back a lot of important details about their situation and fishing for encouragement to do something they really know is wrong, and getting it from us if they fish the right way! But worrying makes a bad hobby :-) and I think you just have to keep both heart and brain in gear. But if cap'n hardass turned out to be a real catfish - let's say he is actually a sweet young lady who never kicks anyone's butt in real life - I would be so disillusioned and heartbroken I don't know how I would stand it.

What would be the point of a lie on this forum? With caregiving, real life can be stranger than fiction. so I have to say honestly that I have never read a post or a story and thought to myself...that's gotta be a lie.

I wouldn't worry too much.

Yes, Always, this is a nice site. I feel like I have learned a lot as well. I came on here because I see that my role with my Mom is changing and going to change even more so. I get very anxious about change. I do not like it! Coming on here helps me get a grip on an unsteady future . It helps me figure out what may happen and what my role may become. Sometimes I worry all night about how I am gong to deal with my aging parent and if I can handle it. I have a horrible tendency to worry about all the things that can go wrong -I spin scenarios in my head that have not even happened and try to fix them. So coming on here and seeing how all you good people handle hard situations really helps me. And I like to help others. I think , because I so often feel that I cannot fix my problems, I try and fix others. :^\

Hottie! LOL - Well, that picture was taken when I was a little thinner than what I am now. I was still working back then, so hadn't gained the 30+ lbs that I've packed on now. I'll have to put up a more current pic of Mom & me - we just got one the other day when we went out to see Penn & Teller.
Like you, Christina, I hate getting matronly when my mind still thinks I'm a kid. The other night I was all dressed up and went to get some high heels to put on with this fancy outfit I had on (I'd waited almost 2 yrs to have an occasion to wear it), walked one trip around the house and my hips and back were hurting so bad from the heels that I ended up replacing them with flats. Like my Mom says, "Getting old ain't for wimps".

Lovely picture, babalon!!! I like the real life photos as I can put a face to a post but totally understand people wanting to be incognito. I had mine up but got tired of looking at myself! Haha. Maybe I will post another one.

Bookluvr- it sounds like you are leaving a bunch of broken hearts around your town!! You tease, you! J/k ;0) it has been a loooong time since anyone has made a pass at me. :oP

Eguillot-I have a good husband as well! And he also works in the entertainment biz--well, he makes commercials. ---not so glamorous , really. After almost 18 years of marriage I still get love notes in the morning and my daughter gets a little note as well. We are his girls.

I think we have catfishers here as well as internet trolls. Some of the discussions become way too confrontational and others completely unbelievable.these are the discussions I will usually leave alone. Stress level for caregivers is too high to get all riled up and involved in something that may or may not be true. When a user name is changed or someone is new to the site I tend to be more cautious as well.