Follow

My dad has Wernicke's Korsakoff syndrome which makes him create false memories to bridge gaps in memory. Every day is different. Today he thinks his late father dropped him off at the NH forever. I reassured him he's there to get better and I will visit him soon, but I hate those sad phone calls. He just doesn't know what's going on, but he does know he's missing a lot of memory and he can't get it back, so he's confused and frustrated and anxious... I guess I'll just have to take solace in the fact that he's safe and in a nice facility because there's not much else to do...

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I don't know much about your dad's illness, I did look it up when you posted before. Can he read and understand at this point? Could you write out a simple explanation of what is going on and keep it near his bed or chair, so that he can read it? Maybe let the nurses/aides know about it so they can direct him to it. Or leave a recording he can listen to that explains what is happening? At some point, you just have to accept that you're doing the best that you can for him and he's safe and cared for and loved. {{{Hugs}}}
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter