Follow

I got fed up with an article on exercise in our local ‘Senior Citizens’ paper, and wrote a reply. I wonder whether it would go down OK with some of our bedfast elders, or even us! I’d be glad to get some feedback. My reply letter is the first post:

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
JoAnn, I wrote it yesterday! Perhaps the style is ‘years ago’ - it was intended for a Senior Newspaper, I just posted it here for interest. It's a follow-up to a gung-ho 'climb the stairs, walk an extra block' article in the last edition.

I’ve never read anything that suggests what you can do at a sleepless 2 am without getting up, so I wondered if anyone might like to try. I do find most of the exercise ‘advice’ reads better than it lives (actually doesn’t live at all for me). This truly is living better than it reads, even though it isn't 'good enough'.
(0)

JoAnn, same here. Ever since I retired from work [would still be working if the business hadn't closed] I found I rather sit in front of the TV or the desk top computer. Also, helping out my late parents it was always urgent. So much stress.

I keep thinking I should go up and down the stairs for exercise. Do I do it, nope. I even thought about every time there is a commercial break on TV, of which there are many, I should walk around inside the house. Great idea, tried it a couple times.

My primary doctor gave me a good exercise to help one stand up from a squatting position. Stand in front of the kitchen sink, place hands on the counter, now squat down, now lift back up. Sounds good, I ever tried it, did ok. For some reason I felt silly doing that :P
(0)

That article sounds like something written years ago. Me I have gotten lazy and it shows when I go out for a day. I am so tired when I get back. I have a group of exercises that are really easy but do I do them, no. One you do on the bed. Others are just tightening up the muscles. As we age weight training is recommended to keep the muscles in good condition. Walking is good for you. There was something using a chair.

I am on my tablet too much. There are so many things I could be doing, like cleaning my bathroom, but I just don't do them.
(2)

I agree. Stretching, flexibility and balance are as important (if not more) as we age. Seniors don't fall because of lack of cardio fitness, they often fall because they are stiff. and then can't recover from the trip due to lack of muscle tone and reflexes. They break bones because they become brittle due to the aging process, diet, genetics, etc.

I live in MN. Parking one block farther in the wintertime would increase my risk of encountering a patch of ice and wiping out.
(0)

Why is that exercise advice just puts me off? No, I don’t want to park an extra block away when I’m shopping (shopping tires me out anyway). No, I don’t want to use the stairs instead of the lift, or join those people hopping up and down at a gym. But I have started to exercise in bed, and I’m getting stronger! I can do it when I’m lying down for an afternoon nap, or when I’m awake in the night.

If you want to try, lift a bit of your body one inch off the bed, and hold for 10 breaths. Left foot one inch up first. Bedclothes make it harder, but that’s OK. Pull your tummy in to make it easier. Rest. Now try right foot, one inch, 10 deep breaths. That’s enough for the first time, if you get bored.

Next time, left arm up an inch, tummy in, hold for 10 breaths. Then right arm. Counting may even help you go back to sleep, which is good.

Sleep on your side? Next time, top leg one inch up, tummy in, 10 breaths. Wiggle your top ankle around, point your toe up and then down. If you won’t wake your bedfellow, roll over and do the other leg.

Head off the pillow one inch. Bend forward and side to side. 10 breaths, tummy in. Then any other body parts you can think of!

The bad bits about my bed exercise are that it doesn’t increase my heart rate, or make me aerobically fitter. But then I wasn’t doing that anyway. And it doesn’t increase flexibility, except the bits like wiggling your ankles and bending your head.

The good bits come from making your muscles stronger. Strong leg and ankles make falling less likely, and walking easier. Stronger tummy muscles increase core strength. Because I’m lying down none of it upsets my tricky back. Once you feel your muscles getting stronger, you start trying other things. I’m walking across the room in a heal-to-toe line, to stop me wobbling so much.

I can feel myself getting stronger, and I’m getting quite enthusiastic about it (enough to write this!). Could you do it too?
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter