In virtually every state it is possible to have Medicaid pay for certain services when an individual is living in an assisted living facility. However, it is important to note that that the assisted living facility's cost of basic room and board will not be paid for by Medicaid, as it would be if the family member resided in a nursing home. Only residents of nursing homes will have their room and board paid for by Medicaid, if they qualify for Medicaid coverage.

To have Medicaid cover some assisted living services (not including room and board) the facility must be "Medicaid certified," so you will want to make sure about that when searching for a facility to move your family member into. The best way to find out is to call and ask your state Department of Human Services for a list. If you are interested in a particular facility, just call the facility's financial office and ask.

What Medicaid Does Cover in Assisted Living

The 2010 federal Affordable Care Act includes a number of provisions that expand the reach of community-based care such as HCBS by providing funding for additional optional state HCBS-type programs. For example, the Community First Choice rule is a new state option under Medicaid that provides states choosing to participate in this option an increase in federal Medicaid matching funds for providing community-based attendant services and supports to people who would otherwise be confined to a nursing home.

Programs that cover the cost of certain services at assisted living are known as Home and Community Based Services (HCBS). The individual must need the same level of care as that provided in a nursing home and satisfy the same asset and income requirements needed to apply for nursing home Medicaid coverage.

In general, HCBS will pay for the following assisted living services:

  • Nursing care
  • Case management
  • Medication management
  • Assessments
  • Medical exams

For an assisted living resident with no other options available to pay for room and board, it may be possible to obtain assistance through state-funded welfare programs or programs run by religious organizations. If the resident is a veteran or surviving spouse of a veteran, they may qualify for a VA pension to pay for long-term care. If there is a demonstrated medical need, such programs will generally pay the full cost of the assisted living facility, including room and board. Check with your state's Area Agency on Aging, or speak with the executive director at your loved one's assisted living facility about programs and options that can help.

Browse Our Free Senior Care Guides