So many hrs. caring for my mom (bad heart); appts, meals, errands, shopping, etc. Spending so many hours helping my mom, from living with her to ensure she's not alone if she falls, making meals, etc, it takes away from hours I'm available to take on jobs. She has home healthcare insurance, but that won't cover any costs until she actually needs a nurse, which is not what she was advised before paying for it for over 10 yrs. Is there help out there for us family members that step up to help and keep our parents in their home and out of the assisted living facilities???

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
I've been here over a year and have never read about a family member being paid for caring for another family member. Medicaid puts it quite succinctly when they make it clear that family caring for family is considered a gift.

If you have to be with mom most of the time for fear of her falling, and you can't afford to give up working, then your mom needs more care than you can provide. If, as you say, you're keeping mom in HER home, then she has assets to pay for assisted living and that's probably what she should do.

You keep your job and your career . . . Mom has plenty of social stimulation. Sounds like a win-win.
Helpful Answer (2)

Hearthelper, that’s a very common question asking about being paid, if that is what you are asking. Majority of grown children do not get paid for caring for their parent, unless the parent is financially able to pay from their own pocket. If a parent can afford to pay you, the parent might as well hire a certified trained caregiver allowing you to keep a full-time job.

If you live in the States, see If your parent qualifies for Medicaid, the State might allow a trained Caregiver come in to help for a couple hours. Also check to see if your State is one of those States that has a “Cash and Counseling” program to help you out, it‘s worth looking into. Note that each State has their own rules, regulations, and programs.

Also contact your county agency on aging for programs such as Case Management, Meals on Wheels, Adult Day Care, housing, care referrals, etc,... go to the website link below.... click on your State.... now click on the city/county.

And please come back to the forums if you have any Caregiving questions, we would be more than happy to share our experiences with you, and give you ideas on what to do
Helpful Answer (1)

You certainly need a break but your info about insurance, in home nursing etc is confusing. You'll likely get many detailed answers here but there ain't no free lunch out there when it comes to in home care. You should spend some time reading the caring at home stories on this site. It's a tough gig and can last longer than you will. I am not an advocate of in home care when it gets to the skilled nursing level. Unfortunately our eldercare system does not cater to on home care, financially or otherwise. But there will be many that disagree. Hopefully you'll get a range of advice here.
Helpful Answer (3)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter