How can I apply for compensation for caring for my parents?

I quit my job to move back home and take care of my parents. Isn't there some way i can get paid for being their full-time caregiver?

23

Answers

1 2 3
dizzyrider, I feel so sorry for you that anyone could say anything derogatory to your plight. I hope you get everything you want in life and so much more for the sacrifice you did.

I feel for you, dizzyrider. My mother had lost her olfactory sense. Talk about a stench! Wish I had thought of the Vicks.

A caregiver often gives up their job, which impacts them and their retirement income for the rest of their lives. I cared for my mother for 20+ years and depleted my savings before she was finally able to pay me something, which was when my father died and she got his social security. Only problem is she was too greedy to want to pay me and, even worse, my siblings supported her in this decision. Talk about no good deed goes unpunished!!? Where were my siblings when I was spending my own money to care for her, since her income was so low??? They could have cared less about that, they rarely lifted a finger to help me in any way during that time, but now want to criticize how her money was spent, after her death. I did finally get paid a very small amount for around-the-clock care, but I was made to beg for it each and every month, then hear the negative comments.
Willows, as for your smart-a** comment above, no, your parents probably didn't get paid to take care of you when you were a baby and same for mine. The not-so-fine difference here is that our parents chose or their actions made the baby--their choice. Caring for a baby is not the same as caring for an aged parent--compare changing a baby's diaper to cleaning up after an accident your loved one had-- no comparison, believe me. My mother had diarrhea chronic for the entire time I cared for her, God rest her soul. I felt so sorry for her, I didn't complain about cleaning it up, but had to get a bigger washing machine for all the bedding, etc. Walking into the bedroom where she slept in the morning would be a challenge in itself, until I got things cleaned up. I used to have to put Vicks under my nose just to overcome the horrible odor and to keep me from throwing up while cleaning up. Just a couple of the things that you don't seem to consider when making your insensitive comments here.

My mom was on a home based care plan and even her social worker thought it was paid for by the state, but when she passed, they submitted their bill to medicaid. They won't come after your assets, but if she has a house, they expect you to sell it, when she dies.

@pullupyourpants
I was never told that Medicaid would want to be paid back and put a lien on assets. My mother is under the HCBS waiver, maybe that’s the difference.

I live in Florida and my mother has medicaid. Under her long term care portion of that, they pay for a home health aide. I am that home health aide and I get paid a little over 10.00/hr, though she only gets 9 hrs a week of that service. So I am getting paid a small amount. I am sure if her condition changes, the hours would go up.

Btw, that's me and my mom Theresa " I'm happy to be home" on the sites "family stories" link.

Your state might qualify or your state might have something similar.

It depends. If they quailify for Medicaid, depending on your state, you might be able to get a stipend from a place like Caregiver Homes, http://www.caregiver homes.com or something similar, such as cash and counseling. They are all medicaid sponsored agencies and medicaid WILL put a lien on your parents assets, including property, after both of them pass.

You can look up or contact your state's DHS.gov (long term care) website for more specific information on whether or not your parents qualify for Medicaid and how to apply.

As I said, Medicaid WILL seek to be paid back. It's mandated by law. (their assets, not yours) so you'd be well advised to contact a good elderlaw attorney, before you apply.

There's also adult day care (like a day camp for elders) if they need an eye kept on them, which charge on a sliding income scale or Senior Centers if they have some mobility. That will give you some time during the day, for respite or if you have to work.

Nursing homes are like $7-10,000 PER MONTH! Taking care of them is less costly, but it's not free (medicaid) Feel free to contact me, if I can answer any questions, about my journey.

1 2 3