What steps can I take if I believe my parents were taken advantage of by a remodeling company?

My parents, ages 78 and 89, commissioned a remodeling company to remove their existing tub and install a fully functional handicap shower. The work was very shabby requiring multiple post construction fixes, not to mention they pay in excess of $9000 (with no shower door). The company wants my parent to pay another $1400-$1500 for a door for the shower. Is it me or does this seem extremely pricey? When speaking to my parents neither of them seem to know what they signed and agreed to in the contract. All they can articulate is what they expected and the fact they did not get it. Any layperson can speak to my parents 5 minutes and realize they do not quite get it. Is there some type of law against practicing business in this manner?

25

Answers

1 2 3
maybe that's what my parents should have done; they still haven't gotten theirs

Sassy75 I'm sorry but you are wrong about your cost guess. My family does this for a living. There are many expenses in a remodel that are not calculated by the inexperienced, and certainly not without knowing the extent of this particular remodel. Like Freqflyer stated, there's plumbing that has to be moved, drains that have to be centered. (no easy task no matter what subfloor is being used) Did you calculate into your mental note all of the labor involved in the demolition, treatment of mold perhaps, reframing if necessary, insulating the walls for noise pollution, fixtures, handcap improvements, leveling the floor to slope to the drain, etc. Then materials, a walk-in tub/shower is in fact $3000 by itself. If that's not what was used, there could be a shower base and a spill guard, glass shower walls or doors are very pricey depending on the style and thickness of the glass. Then there's the variation in labor pricing across the US. In California the labor is extensively higher than in Texas. You may be making a judgment call based on your area without enough information to do so. $9k is not unreasonable, but without more information on the actual installation and products used I can't explain further why. You were, however, right about collecting her money after a judgement. That's not easy, but you have options. You can also sell this debt to a collection agency. You'll only make about 50% of the debt owed you, but it's easier than waiting and fighting for money.

first, do you have POA? the contractor who restored my dad's garage after a fire wouldn't talk to me because I didn't have one, though technically they were in the right; it was just the way they handled it, first, it was an insurance claim and this was/is a nationwide company that first handled the mitigation and clean-up at no cost because of their contract with the insurance company, but because they were already at the house, made it easy for them to then just present a contract for the restoration and dad to sign, not realizing he was signing that as a pay job, which didn't have to be done by them, not entirely sure the insurance company's requirements since things have changed so much along those lines, so not sure that they would have paid grandson and friends, et al, to do the work, like they wanted, or, more so, though don't think they would have paid them directly since not licensed - so not really sure would have wanted them to do the work or what might have been the result there but that's a different issue - but whether they would have just cut dad a check like had done in the past on everything when other relatives - my uncle's, who were licensed contractors - had done other insurance work, though, again, don't think were ever paid directly, but, again, think requirements have changed; know they were already upset, I think, over the last check they cut, when had to, at least at that point, because he was grandfathered in he'd had insurance with them for so long, even though regs had changed, that he'd never had the repairs done, so they'd probably expect that if they did the same again, the same thing would happen again, although this time he had them wanting the money, so....but not to say repairs would be done; anyway, through not understanding, he did sign the contract; now, several things, not only did he not understand he was signing for a pay job, but even then that was fine as long as insurance was paying for everything, but while in the past when he'd gotten a check with uncles doing repair they accepted that amount that insurance gave without considering his deductible of course these people didn't so while they gladly took the insurance check, which was sent to them directly, that wasn't all they wanted, they also wanted the deductible amount, which is where the issue began to arise. Now, having said that, apparently somewhere in the process they'd made an agreement with the insurance company over the check dad was owed by them for the loss of his personal property that it would be sent directly to them as well to cover the deductible amount, which not sure exactly why; had they gotten the idea somewhere along the way that dad didn't understand about it so this was their way of dealing with it? so anyway, not sure exactly now what transpired or didn't that led to my being in touch with them, but anyway apparently who they'd made these arrangements with wound up being on vacation at that point - kinda like another situation with person making arrangements then no longer being there when time came - so person there said no way would that type check be sent to contractor - they couldn't do that; had to go to dad, so he gets said check in mail, somehow contractor finds out - they'd talked to insurance company to find out why they hadn't gotten it and gets told - and shows up? to get so after much? persuasion manages - dad doesn't want to cheat them more than he's willing to keep the check even if he doesn't understand? but then they fail to have him sign it; do they still think it's made out to them and was just sent to dad's by mistake? so they bring? or send it back for him to sign but seems not done by one who really knows what's going on so between the two of them it ends up this time just being left so then dad does go off to the bank with it; he's not going to replace those personal items anyway, so then they're back again to get their money, so this time dad just has them fill out one of his checks - yes, had them fill it out and yes, they did but then still forgot to have him sign? signed it themselves - and, yes, I know fraud and think bank would have caught it - maybe did and called? anyway know came - was it that same time? said they thought some of their equipment - some scaffolding - had been left, so picked some up that, strangely? my uncle had been there saying with - for another whole issue - did say this was for dad's garage, right? now why weren't they replacing his door? oh, maybe seems like adjuster wouldn't approve enough for, said wasn't really damaged by fire; its issues were already there? from being run into because not going up when supposed to because of beams not being right? because of being hit? anyway causing issues with motor, which agreed to replace anyway, or did uncle do that; anyway something along those lines why had his scaffolding down there that says turned up missing, although with everything else that came to light later, not really sure who to believe but anyway did call to tell them situation, turned out they were in next town where uncle lived so he said he'd meet them to get them back so guess they didn't have much choice but seemed to really upset them but they let him have them, but now they sure wouldn't talk to me about their whole money situation or wouldn't have let me see the actual contract without me having POA since he had not been diagnosed at that point, although he did have an aide coming in per doctor's order from a prior incident but nothing enough legally yet, but they were entitled to the deductible and supposedly did do what was in contract and he wasn't worried about the rest and probably did do what was required; he was just to getting more than all his life, guess the gravy train was up

For example, elders are taken advantage of by contractors all the time. My mother thought it was a genius idea to hire her cleaning girl's bf to put in a new kitchen floor. NOT! When I saw what a disaster it was, I told her to get the guy back to her house to correct his mistakes!

Depending on the complexity of the job, and the materials used, 9000 dollars doors not seem out of line for a new handicapped shower installation. And the glass shower doors are huge and expensive in themselves!

There are lots of great ideas here! I would review the contract and do your best to work it out with the company, but there his never an excuse for Crappy Work. If they are unwilling to correct their shabby work, or make things right, I would take therm to small claims court. Hopefully your states small claims court maximum limit is ten thousand dollars, as somebody else had mentioned.

Before you hire a lawyer, you should try to get a copy of the contract. If the business did the work shown in the contract at the agreed price, going to court will get you nowhere. Also look for a clause that allows price increases for unexpected events. As mentioned above, there may have been damage under the existing tub that needed to be repaired or unexpected plumbing issues. You would not want the contractor to just install the new shower over leaking plumbing, right? Older homes often have some "creative" former work that needs to be corrected.

As to the shower door, if it was not in the original contract, your parents are under no obligation to have this company install one. You can call other companies to compare prices and hire someone else to install the door. It is always a good idea to get more than one estimate for any job.

The handicap showers at hotels don't have doors. How would an aide be able to reach in from outside to help if there is a door? I think you are done with the contractor.

what a shame. how low can people go to take advantage of the elderly.
I would contact the BBB and file a complaint Also I would contact the Consumer Affairs Bureau, they have a web site to file a complaint. I also would contact your local DA offices. and file a complaint there. these are agencies that will help you and not charge you. I also would go as far as contacting the license bureau for the plumbers
and file a complaint there. I would file a complaint with each and every one of these bureaus and if they can lead you to anyone else I would do that also. I wouldn't let
them get away with screwing with my parents....
I also had my parents bathroom done over and took the tub out and turned it into a
shower that I could roll the parents in the wheel chair into. put a handicap toilet in and also barred the entire shower and the where needed in the bathroom for them.
I did it thru home depot in 2015. no where near that price. good luck.

It is imperative that you hire an elder law attorney. This company could be considered scam artists.

As mentioned here, you're probably going to need a good lawyer. Another thing you can do if they paid by credit card is to call the credit card provider and report the incident and see if they can help you. If they paid by debit card, then go to their bank and take them with you and sit down with the bank manager and tell them what you told us here and have them dispute the charges. They'll pull up the account and see when the money came out of your parents' account and they should be able to dispute the charges if you all know how much came out of the account and on what day, this will help you the most and especially more so if you know the company who did the sloppy work. As mentioned here, also call not only the BBB but if I were you I would call your State Attorney General's office and ask for the fraud department to report the business that defrauded your parents. I also know that if this was a private individual who defrauded another private individual, they also have a department for that so don't be afraid to call your attorney general's office since they specialize in handling fraud against vulnerable seniors

1 2 3