Why are people allowed to suffer and animals are allowed to go in peace? - AgingCare.com

Why are people allowed to suffer and animals are allowed to go in peace?

18

Answers

I think it should be the persons choice if that decision is made while they are healthy and in right mind it should be honored just like a living will or DNR order.
I would want this myself after caring for my mother with Alzheimer's there is quality of life and when you no longer even know you are in the world or where or who you are with there is no quality of life.

Sounds like a slippery slope to me. Old people will feel obligated to die earlier than they would have otherwise. How long before kids are saying, "Look mom/dad, you're too expensive and a pain in the a--, would you Please just check out!". Just because many of us think it doesn't make it right to do.

In a country where old people are loved and respected and cherished, something like this might work. But this is America, land of the young, where old people are disrespected and pushed aside. They are not asked to share their wisdom, they are told to hush. And that is why I can't vote for it.

Do I believe that terminally ill people should have the right to kill themselves? That people newly diagnosed with Alzheimers should have the choice to kill themselves before the disease has taken away all that is them? Yes. But until this is a safe country for old people, this won't be a good law.

In Holland they are voting for the right to a complete life after 70. It is going to their parliament this summer. You can google it, but if two doctors sign papers for you, you can 'go'. They already have this law for terminally ill and dementia patients. They also have a great alzheimers home where they just let them live and wander, but not sure how that works when they need 1 to 1 care. Haven't researched that enough.

Hello Trunner, I know I was prescribed Ativan in a hospital setting in the psych ward, but I don't remember it. I was given a prescription for it at home for anxiety and the first pill I took knocked me on my a-- and I had to go to bed. Slept for hours. Threw the bottle out. I was looking for less anxiety, not a coma for crimeney's sake! LOL! I have some info on Ativan for you, I use a great little dot com called drugs. I suggest checking it out because I'm just going to give you some highlights.

"What is Ativan?
Ativan (lorazepam) is in a group of drugs called benzodiazepines (ben-zoe-dye-AZE-eh-peens). It affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause anxiety. Ativan is used to treat anxiety disorders. Ativan may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide."

"Avoid using other medicines that make you sleepy. They can add to sleepiness caused by lorazepam."

"The sedative effects of Ativan may last longer in older adults. Accidental falls are common in elderly patients who take benzodiazepines. Use caution to avoid falling or accidental injury while you are taking Ativan."

"Ativan should be used for only a short time.”

“You may also have seizures or withdrawal symptoms when you stop using this medicine. Withdrawal symptoms may include tremor, sweating, muscle cramps, stomach pain, vomiting, unusual thoughts or behavior, and seizure (convulsions).”

“Ativan side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to Ativan: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
confusion, depressed mood, thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself;
hyperactivity, agitation, hostility;
hallucinations; or
feeling light-headed, fainting.
Less serious Ativan side effects may include:
drowsiness, dizziness, tiredness;
blurred vision;
sleep problems (insomnia);
muscle weakness, lack of balance or coordination;
amnesia or forgetfulness, trouble concentrating;
nausea, vomiting, constipation;
appetite changes; or
skin rash.”

If your mom or you are not happy with this medication, perhaps consider talking with her doctor about adjusting the dosage or changing medications.

capnhardass, i'm with you. those are questions that are appropriate for me to discuss with my therapists only. not fodder for the VA to make any decisions for me on. you are allowed to discontinue the questions, i did. i told them that i felt they were intrusive and had nothing to do with my health concern at the time. EVERYTHING about the Government is intrusive these days. :/

Cap harass they put my mom on adivan and she's gone from talking and eating to not eating and just laying their like she's dead please tell me more about adivan

Ditto all what you just said, windytown. Thanks for stating it because I could not get my head around it and it was exhausting me. LOL.
Have a Blessed evening, Everyone. xo

Capnhardass, I think your bone to pick lies with the government and who the powers that be deem is who is valuable. We are entering interesting times, indeed.

Christians, and belief in Christ has nothing to do with the people in charge in this day and age. I respect your opinion, but I disagree.

The OP's question boggled my mind. We don't euthanize people, because we are human, NOT animals. Valuing life is a basic Christian tenet and allowing people to die when THEY are ready is something we hold sacred. Jesus wouldn't let you go, but big government will as soon as have you die if you're no longer useful and paying into the system.

All I'm saying is big brother probably wants to know if your sons will be there for you when you're at death's door, and any love interest, and if you prefer a religious component to be involved. They need to know who to notify for legal purposes and get your last nickel.

Remember, you're dealing with the government, a really big government, and they are not God. He'd do things a lot differently and with mercy and love to see you into your old age.

I pray for you and me and all of us entering into this age. Time for a ciggie, though big gov wants $6.00 a pack.

Have a good night.

people are being euthenized right now from what ive been reading . at some point when a hospice nurse cranks up the morphine they are fully aware that respiratory distress will follow. in the past a heart stopping elixer was combined with the morphine to induce death but now that function is achieved with ativan.
whats even more disturbing is how patients are being evaluated for their value to society. the va is forever asking me about my relationship with my sons and even if i have a romantic interest. they are implying that they will not spend money on me unless my demise affects a number of people. its rather scary because if an older person doesnt have much money chances are they dont have adult children lovingly hanging around them. i answered 100 yes or no questions for the va recently. too dam many of them kept referring back to whether i had a belief system or not. i think christians may be getting preferential treatment in this country..

Just wanted to say to trunner0 that you can change hospices. You do not have to stay with the hospice you started out with. Good luck to you. Check to see if your hospice is a not for profit group or a for profit organization. If they are "for profit," they make a lot of money off of each patient and they don't want to lose you. Threaten to leave and see what happens.