Anyone have a loved one with Dementia or Alz experiencing weakness in the lower half of the body?

75+ year old Mom with Dementia (diagnosed approx 5-6 years ago) experiencing weakness in the lower half of her body. Becoming increasingly difficult for her to walk for more than 10 feet without "resting" on a bench for a few minutes. Has or is anyone else experienced this with a loved one? I know Dementia is one of those "we don't know alot yet" diseases but I am also finding it difficult to gather much on "symptoms" other than behavioral and memory. If anyone has any suggestions of some good books or websites please let me know! Thank you!

18

Answers

I'm not sure what is meant, by not finding info on lower body weakness, (granted this thread started over 4 years ago.), because I thought that the inability to walk is one of the trademarks of dementia as it goes to the final stage. If you go to the Alzheimers association website and look at the stages, it says that the disease causes loss of control of muscles, so that the person loses the ability to swallow and walk. We are not supposed to post links here, but, I will try to PM you a link Buckiiz05.

Also, in the MC unit, where my LO resides, there are very few residents, with advanced dementia, who are not in wheelchairs. As the muscle controls continues to decline, they then go to a gerichair or tilt chair, since they can no longer sit up, then they are bedbound. This recently has happened to my LO. The OT is coming this week to assess her for the right kind of chair. It's heartbreaking really. Seeing her this way, is really the toughest thing so far.

I am just going through exactly the same with mum who was diagnosed 3 years ago with vd .her deterioration is so rapid every day she seems weaker and less able to do simple things e.g. feed /drink herself. Had anyone had support from admiral nurses... I was thinking of enquiring about what they offer support wise

My mom has lost her ability to walk/stand. I have been extremely surprised by this because she was always very physically strong. I have often wondered about why she lost her ability to walk so soon after her diagnosis when so many people are "wandering" at a much later stage. She still has a strong grip but can hardly sit upright by herself. She leans to one side and sometimes to the other, sometimes going almost horizontally without some support. My mom had some small TIAs, don't know if that is related. A connection was drawn between incontinence and loss of ability to walk/stand and I had never thought about that before but it rings true. Unfortunately, mostly we are learning as we go and I don't have any suggestions to prevent this problem. It seems that the point about keeping our loved one moving as much as possible, for as long as possible seems smart. After my mom started needing help with walking she couldn't/wouldn't use a walker. The PT said that learning anything new with dementia was almost impossible. I just wanted to let you know that your loved one isn't the only one with this experience. I'm so glad that you are doing so much to try to help and I'm sure that your loved one appreciates all that you do! I have learned so much on this website and the support system is priceless to me.

PS. to my above post: mom had been on Megace (1 tsp. every other day) for a few months to encourage her appetite. It did, and seemed to agree with her, but one possible side effect is stroke/mini-strokes. It may have lead to her inability to walk/stand, but we'll never know for sure. No sense in pursuing hospitalization with tests, poking & prodding when she isn't going to "get better". I know it may sound harsh, but she would NOT want any of that happening to her, and signed papers stating that many years ago.

Debi, we can't post most links here, but I can tell you what I did. I googled two things -- "leg weakness Alzheimers," then "muscle weakness Alzheimers." There were quite a few things that turned up in the searches. I learned a good bit. I hadn't heard of contracture before. It was very good information to learn.

JessieBelle - where did you read this information? I have been doing research also, it would be most helpful to read the article, etc. that you found this! Thankyou!

My 92 year old mom with AD fell several times at home before she entered the nh. After several months, she gradually started "listing to starboard" when she was walking. Soon after, she needed one assist, then two, the one day I came to visit and she was in a wheelchair. It wasn't much longer that she couldn't walk or stand at all, and the staff needed to use a lift to move her. So therefore, she became incontinent...another sad thing in the long list of sad things in AD. We all suspected a TIA (s), but did no CT scans, etc. It was a fairly short period for all this decline; just a couple months. She is happily still with us, and generally knows us; laughs and smiles, and chatters...so far, so good! I've read & researched plenty, love AgingCare.com and other related web sites; and while there often are similarities, there's lots of unpredicability from person to person.

That happens as the disease progresses and the brain just doesnt tell the legs what to do. Glad you got her checked out by a doctor. Strong medications can do it if you have put her on those, otherwise itsprob just her disease. I used to walk backwards pulling Moms hands to get her to walk. I did that for many many months, then my husband rolled the wheelchair behind her as I pulled her. Its important for them to move to avoid all kinds of things like sores, pneumonia, etc and just to keep the brain active. I would do your best as long as you can, we even did wheelchair to wheelchair to get her into small rooms. I now lift my Mom with a hoyer which works great, but I stand her holding onto a bar across from the toilet to quickly dry and dress her bottom half after bathing her on the toilet. Even standing a few seconds is so good to keep up, you'll need it down the road. Before my Mom used to stop walking and then started again a few times, we never know. Good luck.

I read a bit and found that pain and muscle weakness are common with late stage Alzheimer's. Many become wheelchair-bound, so can also suffer problems that come with that -- greater weakening and contracture from holding knees and arms bent. It sounds like leg extensions are a better thing even if it makes transport more difficult.

We have experienced a similar thing with my Mother-in-law who has Alzheimers. She would complain about pain so we tried everything to find out what was causing the pain. With all the tests and exams she had done, there was nothing conclusive that would warrent the pain she said she was feeling. The Doctor put her on pain meds which seemed to help, at least it helped my Father-in-law to feel like something was being done. She still complains about pain once in a while even though she is on pain medication. We remain confused.