I live in an apartment complex. There are a few elderly residence in their late 80's early 90's. They live alone. Two of them are on the 3rd floor. Neither one can do stairs, or walk without a walker at their best. They get zero exercise and are alone 24/7. One of my neighbors does weekly shopping for one of them and she is the only person interacting with him. The other resident has no one interacting other than an occasional 5 minute visit from her son.

My concern is for their safety. One of them was taken to the hospital via ambulance because she fell - which is happening more and more. Any time she has to go to the doctors the fire department has to get her down the stairs.

I guess my question is, does medicare cover a companion for elderly disabled people? What type of assistance can they get for day in and day out help and care? I am more than sure showering is a major risk for both and not to sure how much of that goes on either.

Do you think I should call social services? I don't want to stir up hornets nest, but I am concerned for their safety and well being. I can not take them on because I have enough pressure being my brother's caregiver, but I don't like seeing the danger they may be in.

Find Care & Housing
I hope the council on aging has an opening in your area. I called for help. They come out and do an interview. Mom was approved but there is a long waiting list so I am continuing to bathe and dress her.

What about talking to the neighbor that delivers the groceries? She may have more info. Not everyone has children. They may have never married either. Who knows what their circumstances are.

Falls are scary. My mom falls.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to NeedHelpWithMom

You most certainly can't take them on, no :)

Partly because you have enough to deal with, I'm sure; but even more so because nobody has asked you to!

Normally I would say that it is *never* wrong to report your concerns. How can it be wrong? You see something that could be a problem, you say so, the right people look into it. What's to object to?

But going just on what you have said so far, I think it would be better first of all to do little bit of friendly contact of your own and just see - they may be of the Fiercely Independent variety of elder, and they may be using ways of coping that you didn't know anything about. Or, it might be worse than you realised, in which case you'll have something specific and significant to report to social services and can ask them to act on it.

Do you know these elderly people to talk to? Would it surprise them if you called in for a little chat?
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to Countrymouse

Thank you everyone for the advice. You have confirmed what I thought I should do. This is almost as bad as seeing child abuse - just on a different level. Family should be the ones to take care of these situations. It just doesn't happen as it should.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to montanacmm

If they have traditional Medicare (part b) there is a segment that will cover a weekly nurse visit and an aide a couple of times a week to help with a bath. This is for home bound folks who need less than 24/7 skilled nursing care.
The Area Agency on Aging should be able to help them sort through this and see if they qualify for one program or another depending on their health and finances.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to 97yroldmom

Medicare does not pay for homecare. But Medicaid does. I have found management does nothing. Not their responsibility. I would call APS and tell them your concerns. Let them get the info at the office for the son or his Mother. Maybe moving them to a lower level when an apt is available.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to JoAnn29

Since you know one of the residents has an adult child, I might go to management and share your concerns with them. Mention that you understand Mrs. X has a son and could they contact him to let him know she needs help. Although it is kind of you to worry about the availability of home health care, it really is up to the residents’ families to arrange this. I know this is a big worry, but there isn’t much you personally can do but worry.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to Ahmijoy

You can contact your local Area Agency on Aging and ask what services are available. You can give them (and your neighbor) the information.
Helpful Answer (3)
Reply to BarbBrooklyn
montanacmm Mar 13, 2019
Thank you BarbBrooklyn.

Ask a Question

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter