My Mom died a year ago. I had an application for VA benefits in the works-almost finalized. What should I do? - AgingCare.com

My Mom died a year ago. I had an application for VA benefits in the works-almost finalized. What should I do?

No word. A representative from VA told me that they were sorry of her passing but perhaps the money we were to receive would help with final expenses for her and cover some of the cost we incurred for her while she was alive. I haven't received anything from the VA since that phone conversation almost a year ago. Has anyone received benefits from VA after their loved one has already passed?

1

Answer

UGH those applications go to the bottom of the pile at best. If the veteran dies during the period of application and the application was not approved prior to the death, there may be accrued benefits. If the regional office had all of the information in its possession that would have led to an approval, then there is an accrued benefit payable. Otherwise there is none. The full benefit is available up to the month of death of the veteran and to a surviving spouse through an application on VA Form 21-0847 (REQUEST FOR SUBSTITUTION OF CLAIMANT UPON DEATH OF CLAIMANT).