He has insurance too.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
If he is on Medicare, you could get into some trouble with APS. APS reports to Medicare and Medicaid. If your dad has his right mind and is happy there do not move him. You have to remember even if you are the POA and he has his right mind he can decide where he is most happy not you. If he is not in his right mind and you want to move him to a better facility, tread lightly, APS, the nurses, CNA'S can try to get a hold of his finances and take you to court and perhaps try to get you removed as POA because they can claim you are abusing him by even moving him to a new facility. When you move him you have to check his Medicare or Medicaid plan is it public or private. If it is through the Government the facility he is at now can elect to report you if you sign him out and take him to another facility and say you left against medical advisement. APS could also open an investigation sometimes it is worth it to move your parent sometimes not depending upon medicare resources and money and the APS and if your insurance is through the government or if it is his own plan that he purchased months ago.
Helpful Answer (0)

Hi Elizabeth,
You didn't mention why you didn't like the place, so I'm assuming that a call to staff won't help to change things.
1) Do you have POA? Yes? You can move him. No? You can't.
2) What type of care is he being given? (ie) Rehab? Long Term? Medical conditions that may limit your choices for a transfer?
3) Is he on Medicaid or Medicare? They are not the same.
3a) IF he's on Medicaid - you'll have to find another facility with an available MedicAID bed.
3b) IF he's on MediCARE - it's easier. But without knowing what type of care he is currently receiving...
3c) If on Medicare with a Medigap policy - is it Medigap or an Advantage plan?
You may want to contact them for coverage information for the new facility.
Note: Unless you want to be unhappy with the next choice - you should go check it out before you move him anywhere.

It's difficult to answer such a general question.
Helpful Answer (1)

I had to do this once. Despite what I thought was good background investigation, recommendation from a good friend who was a former employee, and interviews on a weekend, I realized the first "business day" that I missed two critical issues: (1) food quality, and (2) staff to patient ratios.

The food looked like drywall, and that's not an exaggeration. There wasn't enough staff to care for patients, one of the "nurses" couldn't find the chart, etc. It was absolutely terrible, but there were no signs of that when I interviewed them.

I contacted the doctor who prescribed the rehab care, spoke with one of the nurse practitioners about how to handle the transfer (there was NO question but that we needed to make a transfer ASAP), and learned that sometimes Medicare won't pay for a transfer to a different facility.

After discussion, a letter was written for delivery to the replacement facility (which turned out to be a great rehab place), I advised the current facility in writing of the transfer, it arranged the transfer ambulance (also an example of how bad the place was), and the move was effected. Relief after a horrible experience!

Medicare never raised the issue, and payment never became a problem. But I had the documentation letter if needed.

So, yes, but make sure that you document everything and get the physician on board for his/her written documentation, IF your father is only on Medicare. I have no experience with Medicaid.

As to legal issues, I am named in the health care proxy and DPOA, and may have had to provide a copy to the facility to which we transferred, but it's been a few years and I don't recall all the details. The medical 3 ring binder I carry with me had conformed copies of both, so if it was needed I could have provided it on the spot when I arranged for the transfer.

There was no issue of dementia or cognitive ability. I do know that I had no problem getting a bed at the new facility - they were glad to have us!
Helpful Answer (1)

Yes move him if you want and it would not cause a health issue. Speak with his doctor.
Helpful Answer (1)

Who is paying for your dad's care? For example, is he on Medicaid? Will the place you want to move him to accept Medicaid (or whatever funds are covering him)? Is it within the state? Do you have POA? Medical proxy? If not, does anyone?

Provide a few more details and someone can probably help with your question.
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter