I've just had my Mother move in with me. How do I get a social worker to help out?

She moved in because of health debilitation's and financials. She is bed ridden for the most part due to rhuematoid arthritis, congestive heart failure and copd. ive had to stop my work to care for her around the clock, and now im unable to pay my rent. ive exhausted my savings by moving into a house that is on a ground floor(ive had an upstairs apt. for years]. i love my mom and dont mind caring for her, but 20 hour days are beginning to take its toll on myself

20

Answers

In due time, you are going to find out that you've taken on too much. Best bet for mom=Nursing Home.

Do those of you with truly great advice understand the time involved in securing help? The paperwork, the in-home assessments, scheduling, doctor visits + all the day-to-day domestic tasks amd then giving a mother adequate care, loving? It is simply defeating.

Contact the area agency on aging and ask about in home services and caregiver support services. They have a wealth of information and should be able to pass on some resources. Good luck

Did ur Mom come directly from a hospital or rehab? If so, their Social Worker should have helped u find services u may need. Our Office of the Aging puts out a booklet of their services. Did ur Mom work? See if her employer offers help in finding services for retires. If she has a medicare suppliment, see what they will cover.

My experience with social workers has been more positive. The one time I had one come out to our home, you can bet I did a bunch of extra cleaning first nevertheless. They may actually not be all that interested in finding abuse and neglect, just because then they have to make all kinds of efforts and arrangements to either fix things where they are or find alternative placement, and maybe even end up in court over it. MOST of them can tell the difference between an unwashed sinkload of dishes and serious problems with either no food or rotting food and garbage all over the place.

I would NEVER invite any "officer of the law" ie: social worker into my home. My advice is to keep to yourself on this and if you need to get help, the county services for the elderly will often offer respite help for families. Personally that's even too close to being government for me to swallow. I have a private hire assistant with my mother. I don't know what you would make on your job, but it may be worth it. Also, there is a possibility that if your dad was a veteran that you could get money there for your mom. My mother gets about $1200 per month from VA. That pays her caregiver.

I would check out hospice. Medicare pays for everything.

Like own456 said, I would be very leery of having a LSW come to my house. They are looking for signs of elder abuse. Then you would have more problems if they invented a problem Like wwpwin said you may have to to the NH route.

Often times when social workers come to the house they can see dirty dishes in the sink as elder abuse. If they are not a very nice social worker and know that you have belongings that they feel they want they can report you to the APS. Make sure you keep your belongings that are part of family history or heritage hidden because if you hire a home health care service later research them. Make sure that they do not have any skeletons in their closet. Make sure the health care workers do not have any prior arrest for theft, DUI, sexual offenses, make sure that their records are clear of any and all civil disputes because they can work with a social worker to get family heirlooms and possibly involve the APS worker that could file a court case to become the POA and change the living will to result to all the assets going to APS and the health care workers so check these people out thoroughly before hiring anyone or bringing anyone to the house. Civil court cases with APS and home care can drag on for years and be very costly and ruin your rep. so check these people out first.

Sounds like you may have to bite the bullet and put her in a nursing home. It also sounds like you need to keep working to support yourself.