My loved one has trouble swallowing without choking. Any advice? - AgingCare.com

My loved one has trouble swallowing without choking. Any advice?

She's been sleeping 15+ hrs a day, and said she wakes up and don't know where she is? Does someone know what I should do?

29

Answers

1 2 3
Since my last post, I've had to evacuate my mom to my sister's because she was ridden with bed bugs. Been there for years the exterminator said. She'll be back in a day, but I don't think she will remember why she left. I'm exaggerating a little, but only some. I told her I took the drapes to be cleaned ( a few times), and last night she thought she was coming home to everything normal. Her place and furniture had to be fumigated twice and everything is in bags still. The furniture is turned upside down and the mattresses are all standing up. So I think her dementia is escalating. Hopefully, on the bright side, she wont remember any of this in a couple of months.
Thank you all for caring.

A month ago we had the same problem with my mom. All of a sudden she could not swallow liquids and food as she had all these years, was chocking if she ate too fast, and we could not longer lay her flat when sleeping (my mom is 100% bedridden). Her physician who does her endoscopies let us know that her Acid Reflux (GERD) condition was worsening and the acid was messing with the lining of her esophatus, and because she is 84 and is not usin her throat muscles as much -- the muscles in her throat had drawn up which caused the food and liquids to hesitate and go down slower than normal. So he did an out patient procedure in the hospital to stretch her lower esophagus so she could swallow normally again. She has been doing fine ever since. We are so glad, because we thought that she might have been going into another stage of dementia which sometimes stops a person from swallowing normally (which sometimes means to get the nutrition they need daily they have to go on a feeding tube). If your loved one has GERD (or Acid Reflux), and has a physician who does their colonoscopies, they can also do an endoscopy to see what might be going on in the throat and esophageal areas leading to the stomach. I wish you much love and success in the care of your loved one.

After they did mom's scope, i think they called it a edg, they ended up doing a procedure called esophagus dilation.

Saw the Dr. today. He ordered blood work to check for vit b12 and d deficiency, ordered gastrointestinal scope to check on the choking, gave her a quick memory test, which she missed a couple easy ones, and the paper he gave us stated possible early stage dementia. she is going with my sister to lake havasu for 10-12 days so I can get her mobile ready for someone to come live with her. She has an apt in July, to return, and the Dr was okay with that time period. Thanks everyone for pushing me to get this started. Maybe her tests will come back with good results. And she has other problems that just need attention and she is just getting a little older on her memory. Will update as soon as the test results come in. Thanks to every again! God Bless!

Dear Jrokay - I didn't mean to imply that you were, in any way, at fault. I apologize if that's how it came across. If anything, I was confessing that I feel I may have taken too long at the mental adaptation process of becoming my mother's decision maker. I do hope you get some good, definitive information tomorrow. Then you'll know how to proceed.

SamanthaW- As far as I know she hasn't had a stroke. Her swallowing problem has been accelerating over the past couple of years, with an occasional cough, to more choking, foods or liquids. I haven't been on "top" of everything, and its my fault of course. It just seemed like if it wasn't her knee replacement, 2 auto accidents, bed bugs, her finances, etc, it was my back and not working for over a year, my fiancée with her knee and shoulder, and the list continues. No excuses, I accept my shortcoming and my fault. Monday, May 18th, I will be at the Dr.'s appt. with her, to start and get the prognosis. I appreciate everyone's feedback, and in doing so, everyone kicked me in the rear to help me get her the help she needs! Thank you, and I will update Monday, May 18th.

Dear jrokay - Yr bio indicates that your mom has dementia? and from the sound of it; a stroke. Therefore, she is not thinking clearly and should not be the one making the medical decisions. I'm not sure when you started this journey with her, but I remember when I started mine that I had to get past my initial reflex reaction of asking my mother what she wanted to do. That's what we were programmed to do. I had to remind myself that her response was not reliable. You will need to take the reins and call her doctor when you see something strange. Meanwhile - you didn't indicate if her swallowing difficulty was with liquids or solids - or both. Depending on her level of difficulty; soups are really good and baby foods (ie) smashed up pears, bananas, etc. Keep some water nearby at all times for hydration and as a smooshing agent. Good luck. My thoughts are with you.

My mom has that problem too. The do a soft diet and add "thicken" to her food and drink.

it sounds like a stroke...even a minor one will cause that. the hospital will do an mri to see if there is a brain bleed. the longer you wait, the less she will recover.

Thank You, Everyone, for all your feedback! I have scheduled a Dr.'s apt for Monday, May 18th. I will update asap. This was the earliest I could get and she refused to go to a hospital. This is with her primary care physician. Thanks again!

1 2 3