Is the macular degeneration shot necessary?

Our mom is 84 years old. Gets around ok. Diabetes type 2, some dementia, few hospital visits. She is still with dad, also 84yo. She started to receive a shot in one eye for macular degeneration. Do you think there's good reason to continue the shot?
My brother thinks no, and I yes.

I don't believe in pushing treatments beyond where they are useful but if these are helping they are a quality of life issue. Yes! As the others said, if she can handle the appointments, these need to be done. Saving her vision is vital to her quality of life. Ask your brother to put gel goggles over his eye and walk around for awhile. He may get the picture. I understand where he's coming from (I think), but this is one treatment that needs to be continued for as long as she can handle it. I hope that he listens to you.
As long as your mom is able to handle the appointments please, please do allow her to be treated. AMD stole my mother's vision 25 years ago, we would have walked through fire to treat it but at the time no help was available. My mom managed very well too, but she couldn't go out on her own and discovered that well meaning friends didn't see the hazards, social functions centred around films, card playing, shuffleboard, things that take your eyes. Even eating out is a problem when you can't see what is on your plate. Hand your brother a pair of dark wrap around sunglasses with most of the centre completely obscured and ask him to leave them on for a day and I'll bet he changes his tune.
My mom is 95 and has had macular degeneration (MD) for at least 8 years. One eye was wet MD and one dry MD, now both wet MD. This is the kind that the shot helps, and mom gets one every 6 weeks. It should not hurt if they put plenty of numbing drops in and give that time to work. Every visit, mom looks into a machine that takes a picture of the eye; if there is any inflammation, that eye gets a shot. Most of the time, it's just one eye or the other, but once in a while she needs a shot in each. Her eye doc told me he's had patients who delayed treatment and are now blind. People who put off the shots can lose their vision! It would be cruel to deny a person this treatment.
Esposla, I am 67. I watched my mother slowly lose her vision. By the time the shots were available, she was beyond the point of them helping. She never went completely blind, but she struggled with many things. I am 67. I have macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy. I have my first Eylea treatment after Thanksgiving. I'm nervous, but I want to save as much of my vision as possible. My circumstances are different than your mother's but I would encourage her to get the shot.
esposla, my Dad was 94 when he started the macular degeneration shots, and he felt the shots were helpful, as he was starting to see better.

As cwillie above had mentioned, if your Mom can handle the appointments, keep having those shots.

Wish those shots were available for my Mom when she was alive, but the shots were still in clinical trials. Mom had to stop reading as it was too tiring trying to read out of the corner of her eyes.
My 89 year old Mum with mid stage Alzheimer's was diagnosed several months ago. She had already lost the sight in one eye before diagnosis because she wasn't able to discern that her sight was bad. She has had the injection every two months since and the sighted eye has stabilized. We only had problems with the first shot because as the freezing was coming out she rubbed her eye and scratched the iris which caused pain and swelling. After that, we make sure to use the drops prescribed by the doctor after each visit and watch to make sure she doesn't rub her eye. She doesn't like the injection process, (who would!) but my brother makes it an outing with treats to follow at the coffee shop so she is usually okay. The following day she has some discomfort but nothing she can't handle. Please make sure she gets these injections. Alzheimer's is bad enough without being blind too.
First, I didn't know there to be such a thing as a Macular Degeneration shot.

Second, my DH is 96 - so to me, 84 isn't old yet. I'd say continue it as long as Mom can handle it. She won't handle going blind either.

Third - I'm going to ask my doctor about it as I've never heard of it - but I'm 66 and I don't want to go blind either.
My mom at 95 is still getting her shot. Up until last year she took them every four weeks. A newer medication now has her at 7-8 weeks and her vision is stable. Unless she becomes bedridden I will continue to take her each time.
I have both macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy. I had two evaluations and both drs. Recommended the injections. I went this morning and had injections in both eyes. They were uncomfortable and as the day wore on some pain, but not severe. I go tomorrow for a follow up check. If they help I will definitely go back. It was not the bad experience I had feared.
One day my Father said to me, "I can't see." I said out of both eyes or just one? Both. I took him to the eye Dr and they did some kind of laser and It worked. Only thing about that is it stops working after awhile, and he had to have it done again. I am not sure if he ever had shots.