Is there anyone else caregiving for someone with macular degeneration?

I believe she is losing her hearing and suffering memory loss, way more than you would expect at 72. I took care if my father for the last 2 years of his cancer, but whatever mom is going through, she has turned it on me. I was just wonderng if someone might help me understand it better.

Here's an article about helping people live with vision problems. That's obviously not the only issue here but it may give your some ideas:
https://www.agingcare.com/Articles/living-with-vision-problems-177792.htm

Other issues should be checked out, too. A complete checkup to rule out a UTI or other infection (gums, etc.), a hearing check, and of course a visit to a neurologist if needed.

Good luck,
My 96 year old mother has suffered from macular degeneration and other eye problems for years. She's almost blind now and has dementia. I believe the eye problems have exacerbated the dementia because not seeing or being as mobile cuts down on the stimulus we all need to stay involved. Now, instead of reading, bird watching, TV, cooking, etc. she is dependent on others. She isn't even sure whether someone is talking to her unless they are quite close or say her name. She is now in an assisted living facility and pretty well-adjusted. She comes to my house for holidays and many weekends. She loves music and short stories on tape. She still loves good food. In good weather she loves sitting on the deck, she enjoys short rides in the car... For a long time she manipulated "Tangles" (look on Amazon) but has lost interest now.
It seems that the problem is that your mom has become " mean and hateful" meaning ABUSIVE to you. Do you think this has something to do with the macular degeneration ? I would get a UTI ruled out and then take her to a geriatric psychiatrist to see about her mental health, her mood and her agitation.
My mother also has AMD and at 94 is nearly blind. Complicated by hearing loss, which is getting worse, this condition has contributed to dementia which our MD says is related to her vision loss. When she began having distorted vision, she insisted that people were changing things in and around her apartment. She has created a complex delusion in which she swears a relative(who lives thosands of miles away) is sneaking into her apartment and hiding things or taking things. I looked it up on the internet, and it stated that people do this because they can't cope with the reality that it is THEM doing the hiding (or misplacing). This has led to all kinds of issues in her ALF, as she swears the maintenance man has "changed" her thermostat, the controls on the elevator, etc. Latest thing is that someone came in and took a favorite pillow, and switched it with a lesser pillow. It is the same pillow she has had for years, but became enraged and aggressive when anyone tried to tell her that, so we have found it is just best to agree with her and say what a shame it is that someone would do that.
I am hoping there will be progress in treating this, as I also have both AMD and Glaucoma, and see the writing on the wall.
I just did a quick research on that laser surgery and the article said it is used for leaking blood vessels in the eye, depending on where said blood vessels are located when the patient has wet macular degeneration. The article said out of 100 patients who used the laser, it was only successful on 15 patients.
My MIL had macular pucker that became a hole and the retinal repair was not successful. She would tell me there were ants all over.... they were little specks or floaters from the retinal damage. It was easier to tell her I would take care of the bugs than try to convince her they weren't there.
Macular degeneration and a macular hole leading to retinal detachment are two different conditions. Macular degeneration occurs when deteriorating tissue causes deposits called drusen to accumulate and forms blind spots in vision.
A macular hole is something that occurs in the back of the eye where the fluid in the eye basically leaks out and the retina then detaches.
I just had surgery for a macular hole in which they insert a gas bubble in the eye and it is absorbed within 6-8 weeks and something called a scleral buckle to attach my retina. I am only in my 50s and otherwise healthy, but this can happen to very nearsighted people, which I am, and those that have had lasic surgery to improve vision without the use of glasses, which I never had. It takes a long time for this gas bubble to absorb and with retinal problems there are lots of little black floaters. I often have the sensation of a fly buzzing around. The floaters have lessened a bit as I recover from the surgery. The tough part now is the waiting and I am still caring for my bedridden 93 yr. old Mom. I am so glad for this surgery as the retinal detachment and subsequent blindness were extremely scary. There is so much they can do and I would talk to your Mom's eye doctor to see if there is anything they can do.
My father had macular degeneration. He couldn't see even with his glasses and a magnifying glass wouldn't work. So I took him to the eye Dr. They did laser surgery, and he could see again. He was 85, so IT was age related. Also perservision (vit A mostly) helps.
Lots of great answers here. "she is 72, so what can I expect". WOW, 72 is not old anymore. However, I can see where someone would be very depressed over the issues with her eyesight. She is unable to read or watch TV without have spots on her eyes. That would make me a nervous wreak. I had a friend (recently passed away) and she could barely see. She was living in AL and going to meals on her own and just working through her dim sight. She was determined not to allow her eyesight to stop her. And add to this, your mom lost her husband. That is something that is very personal. Each of us have a different level of closeness to our spouse. Your mom may be suffering from her loss. But, get a physical done on her right away. If nothing is wrong, lift her spirits somehow. She probably has years to live.
I'm living with my dad (86) who has wet macular degeneration, myasthenia gravis, severe glaucoma and hearing loss. He, like your mom, can get really cranky. Thankfully, his mind is intact (we cared for my mom who died of Alz. this past January) but because of his meds, and general nature, he can be really cranky. It is hard to interact with because his hearing is so poor (and often does not where his hearing aids) and his eyesight has diminished so much. He's scared because his worst fear is of going blind, maybe that is true for your mom also. Because of this fear he often takes it out on me....which seems to be happening to you also. I've started to just ignore his mean (he calls them blunt and honest) comments and refuse to be baited into an argument, it stops the whole thing if I just decide to agree with him....of course he continues to pick at me and I smile and nod at him....maybe this is a passive aggressive approach on my part,m but I really want to stay out of a 'stupid' argument just because he wants to fight, find fault and be angry. I should tell you that I was also recently diagnosed with macular degeneration and I'm only 60. I've started looking into learning how to read braille. I don't want to go blind either, but I also don't want to take it out on others like he does. My blessings to you, Lindaz