Is there anyone else caregiving for someone with macular degeneration?

I believe she is losing her hearing and suffering memory loss, way more than you would expect at 72. I took care if my father for the last 2 years of his cancer, but whatever mom is going through, she has turned it on me. I was just wonderng if someone might help me understand it better.

50

Answers

Here's an article about helping people live with vision problems. That's obviously not the only issue here but it may give your some ideas:
https://www.agingcare.com/articles/living-with-vision-problems-177792.htm

Other issues should be checked out, too. A complete checkup to rule out a UTI or other infection (gums, etc.), a hearing check, and of course a visit to a neurologist if needed.

Good luck,

My 96 year old mother has suffered from macular degeneration and other eye problems for years. She's almost blind now and has dementia. I believe the eye problems have exacerbated the dementia because not seeing or being as mobile cuts down on the stimulus we all need to stay involved. Now, instead of reading, bird watching, TV, cooking, etc. she is dependent on others. She isn't even sure whether someone is talking to her unless they are quite close or say her name. She is now in an assisted living facility and pretty well-adjusted. She comes to my house for holidays and many weekends. She loves music and short stories on tape. She still loves good food. In good weather she loves sitting on the deck, she enjoys short rides in the car... For a long time she manipulated "Tangles" (look on Amazon) but has lost interest now.

It seems that the problem is that your mom has become " mean and hateful" meaning ABUSIVE to you. Do you think this has something to do with the macular degeneration ? I would get a UTI ruled out and then take her to a geriatric psychiatrist to see about her mental health, her mood and her agitation.

My mother also has AMD and at 94 is nearly blind. Complicated by hearing loss, which is getting worse, this condition has contributed to dementia which our MD says is related to her vision loss. When she began having distorted vision, she insisted that people were changing things in and around her apartment. She has created a complex delusion in which she swears a relative(who lives thosands of miles away) is sneaking into her apartment and hiding things or taking things. I looked it up on the internet, and it stated that people do this because they can't cope with the reality that it is THEM doing the hiding (or misplacing). This has led to all kinds of issues in her ALF, as she swears the maintenance man has "changed" her thermostat, the controls on the elevator, etc. Latest thing is that someone came in and took a favorite pillow, and switched it with a lesser pillow. It is the same pillow she has had for years, but became enraged and aggressive when anyone tried to tell her that, so we have found it is just best to agree with her and say what a shame it is that someone would do that.
I am hoping there will be progress in treating this, as I also have both AMD and Glaucoma, and see the writing on the wall.

I just did a quick research on that laser surgery and the article said it is used for leaking blood vessels in the eye, depending on where said blood vessels are located when the patient has wet macular degeneration. The article said out of 100 patients who used the laser, it was only successful on 15 patients.

First, you need to gather some support from the folks here to deal with your mom's meanness. She's dealing with a lot of loss, too, and apparently not very well. Try to be kind to yourself as well as her, and read the messages of encouragement here.

My mom (92) has wet MD in one eye and dry in the other. She is also hard of hearing and has some dementia. She does eye drops (diclofenac sod.) for inflammation 4x/day and takes Preservision AREDS 2 2x/day. I take her to the eye doctor every 6 weeks, where they take color pics of her eyes to check for inflammation. I think it's the wet MD eye that gets inflamed sometimes, and then the doc does an injection in that eye. That's several times a year, but it varies with the patient.

I bought mom a magnifier with a screen about 14" from a low-vision store that sells used and new devices. This one was used, $2000 at half price. But it takes up little space on the table, no more than a picture frame. The camera attached to the top focuses on the page (or even hands) below it. It can zoom in so big you could read a single letter at a time if you wanted, and it can do B&W or color.

I also got a headset from Radio Shack that mom uses for TV. It recharges from a stand and is cordless when in use.

The last tool I'll mention is humor. When things get misplaced, forgotten, or otherwise go wrong, we kid that the "gremlins" snuck out to do mischief. I started this, but mom's picked up on it and loves to blame them. We can then laugh and move on with nobody feeling blamed. Good luck!

Oregongirl, when one gets older, it take a small army of people to help an elder age in place, and it becomes very exhausting and frustrating for the grown children.

Yeah, those fun memories have been replaced with bad memories of falling parents, trips to the ER, stubborn parents, parents who refused outside help, the whole nine yards.

Thanks Freqflyer. Don't like those odds, especially when there are always great possibilities for complications.

Thank you everyone for you most helpful answers. She is going to the Dr. in a matter of days. She has always been independent and I think this also is a problem. I am going to learn everything I can everyday and take very deep breaths.

My parents [90's] have been taking folic acid [Vit B] long before getting macular degeneration and have always ate healthy meals, walked 2 miles a day come rain or shine. The folic acid didn't stop them from getting this eye disease. Age did. They took folic acid because both had parents who had strokes.

Macular degeneration is a common age related issue according to the National Institute of Health and the Mayo Clinic, and can be inherited from a parent. Yikes, both my parents have AMD but chances are I won't live to see 80 or 90 anyway.