I'm looking for a GPS for my loved one. Are any of the tracking devices reliable?

I'm looking for a GPS for my loved one. I find it hard to believe the devices I find on email often require someone to punch a panic button. Not sure that a person with Alzheimer's has that ability. Medic alerts also require some type of ability to call for help or a panic button. Not sure my loved one would remember to do that. Most devices are not always with the person, i.e. at night when they have retired for the evening. I researched and bought one, but it works hit and miss. Any suggestions?

22

Answers

1 2 3
Some Alzheimer's Association also have locator services with law enforcement. A chip is embedded in a sneaker. If the LO strays from the home, law enforcement can locate them via the chip in the shoe and deploy assistance. There is no charge to the family.

Automatic Fall Detection For Seniors

Most traditional medical alert monitoring systems rely on a pendant or button that your loved one must press in order to call for help. These systems are highly effective and save lives every day.

Some seniors, though, are at a higher risk of falling than others. There is the possibility that when your loved one falls, they may be unable to press their medical alert button to call for help. This is where Automatic Fall Detection comes in.
From the company called "Medical Guardian"--
Automatic fall detection technology is a newcomer to the medical alert monitoring industry and it’s not without some controversy, since they can’t detect 100% of all falls. Read our most frequently asked questions in regards to medical alert devices with fall detection to learn more.

My dad wears a pendant that he can either push the button on if he needs help or it will automatically summon help if it detects a fall. It has GPS tracking and we can see his location. It’s from Great Call. It does require charging and he could remove it, but we aren’t dealing with dementia and he likes wearing it and the added security it brings.

This post got me curious. So I did the google search and found some interesting things, if all were true.
I went to three or four different site searching for "GPS tracking devices for adults." and found the same ten items list on each.
They ranged from the typical necklace to a device that is fitted into the shoe under the insole.
I even found one device that is listed by LoJack, the same company that that tracks stolen cars.
I hope this helps.

Wow, there are a lot of options! Technology is wonderful. However, I think a person with AZ who doesn't know how to push a button on a pendant and call for help is kind of beyond the reach of the miracles of modern technology. They need 24/7 supervision and should be in a nursing home for their own safety.

ShariK...be careful of the covers, while it might prevent him from getting out just be sure that there is an easy way out in an emergency.
A better idea might be a door alarm that you can put on the door so if it is opened you will be alerted.

Speak with Medical Guardian. I am going to go back home to AZ and hopefully be able to talk Mom into this; concern is my 1 sister. Attorney stated that should I get Mom's permission, to have my sister sign a 'short letter' acknowledging that this will be paid for by me and that I will only have the ability to provide Medical assistance for Mom or Step-Father until she is contacted. That she also agrees to have me listed as a contact and able to get information should Mom end up in the hospital. That the agreement is between me and Medical Guardian, she cannot not nor anybody else make changes to the agreement, discontinue or have access to records without my permission.

This device can either be a bracelet or necklace. This company has their own trained 911 operators, so if you need any record of 911 calls, you do not need the Court to give you permission; IT IS YOUR ACCOUNT just like a banking account.

The device has a GPS contained within. It is also water proof so should the person fall in the bath tub/shower they can press for 911.

You will have access to the GPS like on a cellphone if you use the 360 app so family know exactly where you are on driving trips and know that you're home safe and sound.

The quote I got was $49.50 a month with a 3 month commitment of $149.00. There is only an agreement signed by you for this service. You do not have a contract. You do not have a fee for the services provided...GPS/911.

The call will go to the 911 operators, they contact you and it basically becomes a 3 way call. You provide them with a list of contacts in preference order in case they cannot contact you. In my case, any of my siblings should I decide will not be on that list.

I found this contained in one of the email letters AgingCare.com provides.

My father wore a gps device that I purchased from "mygreatcall.com". It was waterproof and you can check online where the device is. It comes in either a pendant or a wristband. Luckily my father agreed to keep it on all the time. Unfortunately, the battery only lasts 2 to 3 days and then needs to be recharged for a few hours. What I did was purchase a 2nd device (was about $50 plus $35 activation fee) and then swap it every few days while the 2nd is being charged. There is a monitoring service fee of about $30/month. It is also a medic alert device that anyone would press the button on it they would call 911 and me, and whomever was designated. The phone # is 800 463 5412. It is also called a 5 star device.

I use Sprint Family Locator at a cost of about $6. a month. As long as the person can carry their phone and it is charged it works wonderfully. I've used it numerous times and on a few times when my husband got away from me at Costco. It showed the whole parking lot when he was. Of course you have to have a cell phone to bring it up. Good luck

These alert buttons are on a necklace. They can and should be worn are the time. There are saftey catches on them. They can be worn bathing. I think they have watch types too.

1 2 3