Hubby has awful rash from urine. Nothing works!

Asked by

My husband is bedridden and incontinent both ways. He has had a rash on his left side, from the bottom of his shoulder blade to his waist and in the creases of his stomach and leg. The rash looks like flat blisters. He is starting to complain about pain from the rash. I have used Calamine lotion, diaper creams from A & D to Pinxav and everything in between. I’ve used cornstarch, and bathe him with Ivory soap and vinegar in the rinse water as suggested by the HHC nurse he had this summer. I change him as often as I can. I’m his sole caregiver, have fibromyalgia and rolling this 300lb. + man over causes me a lot of pain.

Getting him to the doctor is almost impossible. We have a lift, a ramp and a power chair. He becomes anxious and frightened and tires out easily after just a short time in the chair.

I’m at a loss as to how to clear this up!

Answers 1 to 10 of 10
Top Answer
Sounds like shingles to me. If you look it up, you'll see diagrams showing how the rash appears in "bands", and it is painful and miserable. If you can't get him to a doctor (or a doctor to him?) then call his doctor's office and ask if you can email a picture of it. If it is shingles, he'll need treatment.

And don't let anyone near him who hasn't had chickenpox.
Use a texas catheter. It's just a condom with a hose coming out.
Hugemom; the suspense is making me crazy! What did the doctor/nurse say?
You’ve all given me great suggestions. I started putting a sock over my hand and using that as a washcloth. It works better than just a cloth. I am using Dial soap and vinegar in the rinse water. The “blisters”or whatever they are have disappeared by almost half and he is no longer complaining about pain. He is going to the doctor next week. Thank you all very much!
It sounds like shingles to me too. Needs antiviral meds.
Yeah sounds like shingles ..the blisters and shingles can form on any dematone ..and where it’s located and your description sounds like shingles ,,have you had chicken pox? You need to have a doc come to the house and get him on antiviral medication also you can get a creme to put on it .its called Zovirax’s contagious so it needs to be diagnosed by a dr to get him comfortable..what does the home health RN say ? I am a RN and can’t diagnose..but it sounds like it to me ,,the poor man must be in agony ,,please keep us posted
Ivory is the worst soap to use. It made my Dads rash worse. Sounds like husband may be allergic to something you use. I used Huggie baby wipes. Desitin baby cream. But blisters can become infected so I would check with ur doctor.
Oh, gosh, I read this and went "shingles"....the antivirals will not be effective past about 3 days in with the rash---please get someone to look at him. In the meantime, google "images of shingles"---my poor mom has this a few years back and took her a full year to recover. She is bent into a C-shape due to back surgeries and doesn't look at her own body in the mirror--she had this rash for a couple weeks before she asked my brother to look. It was oozy and weeping---and just on one side, which is common.

Just--as hard as it is, either get him to a dr or have a home health nurse in ASAP. Mother was on antivirals, but they did nothing, Pain pills, lidocaine cream of some kind and we wrapped her like a mummy night and day in gauze. Good Luck--don't let another day go by with this!
Thanks, everyone. I looked at many photos of shingles and I have to say, thank God, that this is not what his look like. This eruptions are flat and do not contain any fluid, nor are they red or angry looking. I’m convinced it’s just a severe pee rash. I will check with his doctor and somehow we will manage to get him in. I appreciate all your advice!
The condom cath is a great idea, no matter what the rash is from. With my FOL, we had great success, after a huge learning curve and persistence. We found Hypaflex and Omniflex tape to keep it attached. (He was ambulatory, but it allowed him to get a full night of sleep.) it sticks to the cath and the skin, yet did not cause irritation with the daily cath changes. 

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support