Raw skin on FIL's bottom. Any suggestions?

My FIL has raw skin on his bottom and he won't tell his doctor. I believe it is due to incontinence that he denies and not showing. Any suggestions?

35

Answers

1 2 3 4
Who did he tell that you were made aware of it? You or hubby? That would be the person he most trusts to "care" for it. Incontinence would likely be noticeable, between stains and smell. Does he live alone? Who, if anyone, provides care for him?

I do agree with others that despite not wanting to tell his doctor, it SHOULD be looked at by an experienced medical provider. Our mother was living alone and somehow injured her leg and by the time we knew about it, it had progressed to cellulitis, a serious skin infection. On his butt, covered for the most part all the time, it could fester even worse than her "sore" did. It took antibiotics, several rounds, and a long time to fully heal.

If he is refusing care, that it appears he needs, contact Protective Services to report self-neglect. They may be able to encourage him to accept help if not from you from an agency that will provide Personal Care or a Home Health Aide a few times a week. They can help with bathing and the application of the cream.

Not to be negative, it I just wanted to add that this is a constant, ongoing battle. A lot of these what I call “pee rashes” spread. Everywhere there are skin folds all over the body can become irritated. I bathe my husband sometimes twice a day to keep these irritations at bay. I agree that cleanliness is your #1 defense against these things.

Thank you all for the suggestions and concern. Very good advice here and will discuss with husband which ones will help get FIL fastest on the path to treatment.

Again, thank you.

He needs to be seen by his Dr,not rule out any fungal or bacterial infection and he may well need continuous multi weekly Dr's visits, if the skin break down is really bad, or deep. Skin infections on the buttocks can become extremely serious, really fast, and if bad enough, the patient can become Septic! Don't wait, get him into see his Dr, then go with what He recommends should be used on the skin irritation, or whatever it might be.

Do you have access to an herbal store? If so, ask for St. John's Wort-infused olive oil and for sweet almond oil (it's not edible!) and mix these with a barrier cream and apply this mix all over the skin. Sometimes my mother's buttocks turn a light shade of red/pink from the chronic urinary incontinence due to a medical condition and applying the cream mix clears up the redness right away. St. John's Wort is typically used for burns and bedsores and actually plumps up the skin. Sweet almond oil is very nourishing to dry skin and is often used on baby's buttocks for chafing. However, you or whoever is POA should consider notifying the FIL's doctor of the butt issue in case it progresses into something worse.

Seewell,
I know tumeric is good for the body but warn anyone using it that it will stain anything it touches. It will leave a dark yellow stain.
How about mixing the tumeric with honey? But then cover the area with a diaper or waterproof pad in case the color bleeds. Very holistic approach.

Kudos to Ray Lynn! You have it down, nice job!
Medihoney very good suggestion as well.
Also it’s important to clean the area gently and let it dry to air before applying anything. Use a mild soap and warm water, like Ivory or such without any perfume and no alcohol. That will burn like the devil.
Good luck!

If you say the treatment is free that helps - I said to mom 'you've paid enough taxes so start collecting what you have paid for' - it started a change in her mind set to start getting help

Make sure what you use doesn't burn. Try it on yourself first. There skin is so tender.

1 2 3 4