Ideas on how to keep Mom on oxygen cannula?

She keeps taking it off and was at 74 O2 this morning. We are going home today...UGH!! She will take it off and fold it squeezing it...or she puts it in her mouth or on the floor. Taping will not work...she will pull it off. She pulled out three IV's while we have been in. Thank you!

17

Answers

Just thought of something else, but it's more of a vague possibility as I don't recall when or where I read about it. It's an alert system that alarms when Sat Rates drop below a certain level.

Gretch, you might want to call your oxygen supplier and ask if there are any such alarms that trigger when Sat Rates hit a lower level.

I just can't remember when I read about this kind of alarm.

Any nurses here know anything about such an alarm, for home use?

Gretch, I don't know why people remove their oxygen cannulas; I've seen it as well.

I think it might be a few issues though, in addition to the fact that it's not comfortable. As earlier mentioned, the gray foam circular patches that snuggle over the cannula help protect the ears. W/o them, the ears can become chafed, and even very irritated, and that can cause the wearer to resent the cannula.

If the oxygen concentrator has a water bottle, it should be filled daily, with distilled water, and changed periodically in accordance with the concentrator instructions.

It helps humidify the air that goes through the cannula. A dry nose isn't very pleasant, can itch, and become uncomfortable, so that might be another reason to pull out the cannula.

As I wrote earlier, a non petrolatum based lip balm can help keep the lips moist, even though they don't come in contact with the cannula. But I think the feeling of dry lips is uncomfortable enough that someone could erroneously conclude that the cannula is causing it.

I get mine through an herbal supplier; they're made with beeswax and are much softer than commercially made lip balms.

I bought a humidifier for the room air; it helps to keep moisture in the air, especially in an older person's home where the temperature is likely higher than what it would be in a caregiver's home.

With dementia, though, it just might be the whole "foreign object" on the face or in the nose issue. I don't have any suggestions for that; perhaps others here with more experience in dementia could help.

My mother is 87 and is starting to show signs of dementia/Alzheimer's. She has started recently pulling her oxygen out and tying it in knots and just pulling it apart. She also says she doesn't need it. I feel like it's too the point of being out of my control and in God's hands. Like one person said, it will all play like it will anyway. I love my Mama, but I feel like it's to that point. I have explained to her what can happen if her body doesn't get the proper oxygen, but it just doesn't sink in. I just feel like I'm fighting a lost cause. She is at home, bed ridden, and sleeps most of the time. I'm trying to make her comfortable and see to her needs. Her oxygen usually dips to 84 or 85 when she takes it out and it goes back up to 94 or 95 when she puts it back on.

Kimmer, I'm glad you posted even if the thread is old and hasn't been addressed in almost a year. You are absolutely right about not using products with petrolatum, including Vaseline.

There are chapsticks that do not have petrolatum, and those are acceptable. I buy herbal ones which are far superior to the commercial ones, and the beeswax in them is more comforting to chapped lips.

Ingredients need to be checked to determine which do or do not have them. And recommendations for the dryness created in the nasal passages by oxygen are to use K-Y jelly. (no snide or humorous comments on that, please.)

Do not use Vaseline with oxygen! Our oxygen instructions were very clear that using any oil or petroleum based products with oxygen can be dangerous. They can be flammable and in the presence of oxygen cause severe burns! This includes Vaseline and chap stick.

I am on o2 at night (copd) and when I wake up the cannula is over my eyes, ears or under my chin. I'm clearly taking it out of my nose while I'm sleeping. I am also looking for a way to prevent myself from removing it. The mitten idea sounds good in theory, but as I am like the princess & the pea when trying to sleep I doubt I'd be able to tokerate my hands controlled.

Type your cotea for twomments and experiences here.

Mike the "about odllovesldl" states this person has dementia. I am assuming she was in the hospital by reading between the lines. I also see the 02 sat read 74%. I gather this person may be home already since it was originally posted 2 days ago.. It is possible the pulse ox reading was inaccurate if she was fidgeting with it. I would be surprised hospital would release a patient with a pulse ox that low. My guess there was a pneumonia or copd going on, just my guess. This patient was confused in hospital, hence pulling lines out and removing 02. Maybe more confused due to different environment also. She may go home on 02, probably not IVs but po antibiotics. So if needs 02 @ home for comfort measures the "mitts" seem reasonable. I am keeping in mind the 74 pulse ox reading is possibly inaccurate, but I see why you would worry about it.

For the RNs out there: It seems my perspective is dramatically different from yours. I'm a homecare RN. For us, a pulse ox of 74% is time to start calling anybody you can think of and documenting it.

It seems to me that the first thing to do is get a MD to assess this situation and take responsibility for it. Is the patient ready to go home? I don't think so. That 74% seems to have happened when a family member was observing and was there to intervene. Who knows how low the pulse ox will go during a long night without observation?

There could be all kinds of factors, including apnea, obesity, alveolar damage and skeletal muscle dysfunction. As far as I'm concerned, assessing for these problems are well beyond the purview of a nurse, no less a family member.

Or maybe I'm just being a panicky ninny.

I'd be very interested in the opinions of others.

Lord, she is just a few years older then me.
I am an R.N. can tell you that the O2 dries out the nasal passages & just a small dollop of Vaseline can stop the dryness.
As far as the I.V's go . Will she need then at home?? There are always soft wrist restraints that give some range of motion , but can be adjusted to keep her hands away from her cannula. They are not painful but sometime needed for the client's safety.
Good luck. It all will manifest the way it should anyway...