My daughter is willing to do this for me and I am seeking information on how much she would be paid monthly. I have many chronic conditions which qualify me for help.
Please advise me on where and what I do or who to contact for this information.
Thank You, J. French

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
dogabone is right about one thing -- Medicare will not pay a family member to be a caregiver. That is because Medicare does not cover caregiving services.

Medicaid, on the other hand, does cover in-home services of several kinds. In many states the person being paid can certainly be a family member. I know of several examples of this happening in my state (Minnesota) -- I don't know how Texas handles this. If you are already enrolled in Medicaid or other programs, I'd start with talking to your caseworker.
Helpful Answer (0)

If your spouse was a war veteran and your income is low you should check out the VA - there is a hardly used benefit called A&A Aid & Attendance. There is a non profit website that explains it better. Here in South Dakota the Department of Social Services for the Elderly does not pay any friend or family member to help the elderly or disabled in their home - whether live in or visiting. I knew there was something else because 2 elderly people I know receive around $300 a month for a family member or friend to help them out. It is from the VA. Even a divorced spouse of a veteran can apply. The non profit website that explains it much better is That is the only financial aid a family or friend caregiver can get in SD. Other states differ. Hopefully, in this case you are in a state with more programs for the elderly. Good luck
Helpful Answer (0)

You can hire her as your caregiver as long as you don't appoint her your POA.
If your asking if Medicare will pay her to be your caregiver? I would guess no unless she is a licensed, bonded caregiver. A POA can not accept payments and can't accept gifts. If she is allready your POA.Have her removed as your POA so you can pay her to be your caregiver. Appoint another to be your POA.
I don't know how old you are and sorry for even asking but, in time evryone will need help with things. Here's the best advice I am willing to give. Some may differ my advice but, it's your choice.
I'm a DPOA and a caregiver all in one. I've seen the flaws with a POA. Seems a POA stops many things from happening. My advice is to not have a POA.
First thing you need to do is go to your doctor and create a living will declaration with your doctor.
Place your daughter as joint on your bank accounts.
Find a attorney to create a trust. Not a Will but, a Trust.Because,a Trust can not be overided.
With these three things in place. Your good to go. But, a few things to remember tho.
You must trust your daughter enough to have her as joint on your accounts. If she owes creditors her creditors becomes your creditors. And your money becomes her money and reverse.
If you have money saved in your bank or CDs or what ever. Cash it all out and hide it somewhere before it's to late. Freezer or a safty deposit box makes a great hiding place for cash. If ever a fire wont burn in a freezer and boxes are insured.
Many people love to keep their money in banks until they realize they must pay medical bills and bye then it's too late. Millionairs are on Medicaid and foodstamps doing this same thing.Is it wrong to hide money from the GOV? It's your money what do you think lol.
I hear people ask all the time on this forum about how to apply for Medicaid if you make too much. What does Medicaid tell you to do? "Spenddown". They want you to give it away or spend it down to apply. You work all your life to give it all away I don't think so.If ever asked where did the money go? "Lottery Tickets" is the answer of the Millionairs.
Hope it helps.I just handed you the holy grail.
Helpful Answer (0)

Who will be paying for this service? For example, are you on Medicaid? Talk to a caseworker with the agency that will be providing funding. The agency will determine (taking your doctor's letter into consideration) how much care you are eligible for under their guidelines. They will also tell you how your daughter would be qualified to provide some of the care. For example, perhaps she would need to attend some classes or obtain a certificate of some kind.

Medicaid will not typically pay for 24/7 care in your home, because at that point it may be more cost-effective to pay for care in a facility. But their waiver program can and does pay for some in-home care, and typically a relative can provide it. The program is run a little differently in each state.

So, if you are currently receiving some financial aid for your health care, the person to talk to able expanded care is the caseworker for that aid. If you are not currently on Medicaid or another aid program, then take butterflykisses's advice and start with your state's agency on aging or your county's Social Services department, to start the ball rolling on qualifying financially.
Helpful Answer (0)

J: Call your local Commission on Aging or City/County Social Services or Independent Living office. Someone there will be able to help. Hope you find the help/answers you need. Blessings.
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter