My friend asked if I would like to be her home care provider. I said I would. so how do we go about making this happen?

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing

Katiekate is very thorough and thoughtful. When I moved home to care for my parents, my brother suggested the contract. I did not think it was necessary. Today, he and I are waiting for a court date to officially become "guardian" for my mom, because my sister has disagreed with countless details over the past 3 years, particularly discounting their desire to live at home. So, YES - follow Katiekate's advice!!!

Secondly, I would be curious why your friend asked you? What are her needs? As in many cases, homecare needs often align with onset of dementia. If that is the case, you'll need more than a contract, you'll need the legal right to make decisions for her. In Georgia, that document is the GEORGIA ADVANCE DIRECTIVE FOR HEALTH CARE.

And finally, you did not mention her family. If she has no family, that's one thing. But, if there are family members, their attitudes can change over time. Find a way now to build an open dialogue between your friend and her family, as it relates to your care-giving.

My best to you both. You've found a wonderful place (this forum) to sort through your thoughts. Folks here are the strength we rely on - silent, invisible but oh so helpful.
Helpful Answer (0)

First you sit down and you write a contract. It will include the hourly rate of pay. The hours you are expected to be on duty. A comprehensive list of your duties. Be sure the time you are required to work it sufficient to be able to do all the work. The going rate is between $15 and $25 per hour.

what you days off are, vacation coverage? Pay? Then also she must get a payroll company to handle your pay ... tax withholding, Medicare, social security, is the law...and it protects you! Should you become injured in the job...having regular pay stubs with tax withholding makes you eligible for workers compensation. Don’t do this as a “contractor”. IRS law says all domestic workers are employees not contractors,

if this is a live in position,,,you need to have all this clear up from in writing. How much notice must she give you of termination? What accommodations will be included because you have to move? Do not let this part of the agreement fall by the way side. You have to have written protection. If your rent and utilities are part of your sure it is equitable. I think it is better to pay rent directly...have your pay be hourly and you just pay to rent a room. Keeps the whole transaction clean.

the establish a pay day.

both of you sign it with a notary. Then proceed according to the terms of the contract.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.

Ask a Question

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter