Caregiver is very nice and takes care of my parents who are in their 90s. Parents live in my house. When she asked for my WiFi password I was taken aback. Isn't she supposed to be helping my parents? I know there is a lot of downtime when parents are sleeping but I feel uncomfortable giving out my password. Not sure how to handle this. I need to educate myself on how I can better respond to her request.

I had to read the other comments first. Caregivers, paid caregivers, are not supposed to clean your house. So cwillie's comment about vacuuming doesn't float.

Is she asking to use your computer or just your WiFi. There is a difference. I would have no qualms about giving my WiFi password (I've shared with visiting family) - but I don't allow anyone else to use my computer(s) or tablet(s).

Since I was a 24/7 caregiver for my DH - I needed the downtime with my computer/tablets or I would have gone bonkers. You can only watch them breathe just so much or go crazy.
While DH said I could watch TV while he slept, I preferred to keep the house dark & quiet for him. We both 'lived' in the living room when he was no longer able to sleep in our bed.

As long as your caregiver is ready to 'drop everything' when called, I see no problem with spending time online and unless you are extremely limited, it shouldn't affect you. If you are limited, just ask that she not download anything; say you're worried about infecting your network with viruses.

I hope my 2-cents worth helped.

Having Wifi password allows her to get internet access. I don't believe she can access any of your files on your computer unless she knows how to hacks into them. I doubt she does because if she's that tech savvy, she could be making a lot more money working in tech industry instead of care taking the elderly.

What is it you want her to do while your parents are napping or watching TV or anything else where she isn't really needed to actively help them? I know that when I had a caregiver for a 6 hour block of time she helped my mom shower, toileted her as needed and served her lunch, then mom napped the rest of the time. That left her with at least 4 hours, so she did a lot of vacuuming. I would have gone stir crazy.

Unless you expect the caregiver to be offline for the whole of the time she spends at your parents' house, she needs the WiFi password doesn't she? - like I'd know, I'm not going to be winning any techie of the year awards, that's for certain.

If you're concerned that she might spend time playing Angry Birds that she ought to be giving to care, maybe just clarify a few ground rules about what online activities are and are not acceptable while she's on duty.

It keeps her from using her data package while she/he is in your home. And if she lives away from your neighborhood there is nothing for which she can use your password.

demstress, everyone needs a break every now and then. I am at work right now but here I am on the forum but can drop that quickly if need be.

My Dad had caregivers around the clock. He didn't mind them being on their smartphones or tablets as they were doing the work that was needed. Of course, my Dad was still using "dial up" for his computer so no WiFi. The caregivers realized that quickly so some bought something to add to their tablet to get the Internet.

I think this thread is ridiculous. People don't trust a person to use their wifi yet they trust them to care for their parents? I think people have their priorities mixed up.

I would have absolutely no problem giving a caregiver access to wifi. Yes, I would setup a guest network that isolates them from the primary network. But that's only because doing that takes about 5 seconds so why not? That way if they no need to come then I can change the password on the guest network without effecting the primary.

Why would they need internet access? Why not? I don't expect a caregiver to be eyeball to eyeball with the people they are caring for every second of the day. There's a lot of dead time between meeting needs. For the same reason, I wouldn't lock up the TV. As long as they are providing good care, I rather have happy caregiver instead of a bored one just watching the clock and waiting to leave.

I think many of the responders to this don't understand that the password gives the holder access to the internet - NOT to the owner's files. It would give her access to HER email, and anything she has a subscription to.
(I subscribe to newspapers on-line - and find it is really irritating when I get stuck in a doctor's office for a long wait and can't access my email nor newspaper.)

Put this request in context: hotels, cafes, MOST organizations give out their local wi-fi password to customers. I get my brother's, my friends' passwords every time I visit them long enough to need the info. This is normal these days. She only wants to access internet... and why shouldn't she? There is no legal liability for her actions just from accessing Internet via the local wi-fi.

That question would have made me bristle. Seems intrusive. The price you pay her includes elder care. There's not a clause in the contract for web surfing while client sleeps. I would just say it's a protected line for only those residing in the house. Of course, if she found another wifi nearby to access and check social media or get the latest news when my loved one doesn't have immediate needs, that would be OK with me. Just don't tell me, don't be obvious, and don't ask me to supply that service.