My inlaws are getting up there, she has just had her 3rd heart stent, he has bad back. They live in normal living apartment steps too much, cleaning too much. They both can still drive. I clean and do the laundry but I work full time with a child. They are on fixed income rent is going up 350.00 by November that will make there rent for 2 small bedroom apartment 1650.00 amonth with utilies they can not aford this, sorry to say there childeren are not around or helping, I am the ex daughter in law. Really need some help so I know they will be okay and safe.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
They are lucky to have you around. If they don't agree to move though, I"m not sure there is much you can do. Are their kids involved at all? Does anyone have POA? Is there any dementia going on?

If they are still competent, you might share your concern with them. You might see if they would like to go visit some Independent Living or Assisted Living places to see what they can get for their money. You could get them the information.

Are they disabled? Would they qualify for Medicaid? There are a lot of things to consider. It doesn't sound like there are any kids who they could go to live with.

Are they physically able to stay by themselves? What if you locate them a one bedroom apt near where they are, but that is less expensive. Of course, a move is going to cost too. If they are going to eventually move into a facility, I would do it now rather than wait for it to be an emergency, although, it's sometimes difficult to get seniors to see things this way if they are not inclined to move.
Helpful Answer (0)

Your best bet is to look for low income senior housing for your ex-inlaws where the rent is based on one's income.

Try using the blue box at the right, type in their zip code and check off Independent Living. Click on See My Results. There will be a form to fill out. Whomever calls, as for information on low income senior housing.

Also contact their county agency on aging for programs such as Case Management, Meals on Wheels, Adult Day Care, housing, care referrals, etc,... go to the website link below.... click on your State.... now click on the city/county.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter