My mother passed away very unexpectedly 6 weeks ago at 77. My dad kept himself busy “getting his things in order”. Now it has finally hit him. They were married 60 years and he has been an alcoholic on and off for the majority. He didn’t drink at all for 6 weeks, but is now binge drinking. I know he is depressed but refuses to go to the doctor and doesn’t want to be on any meds. He lives on his own but seems to get very confused at times. He’s not very steady on his feet, especially when drinking and has fallen several times over the past few years. Not sure if there is any groups I can reach out to for advice for him, or someone that could talk to him. Just don’t know where to start.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
Dear ArlaRae,

My deepest sympathies and condolences. I'm so sorry for your loss. Coping with grief is hard. I wonder if its possible to get a doctor or counsellor to come to the house to see your dad. Maybe even a church pastor if that is your faith. If your dad cannot live alone I would try Adult Protective Services. I hope other family members or friends could also stage an intervention.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter