My mom recently had a stroke. She is in the hospital and will soon go into a in patient rehab. Well when she is ready to come home I would like her to come live with me and my wife. Before she had her stroke she was living with a friend who is also elderly and has health issues. My mom receives social security and food stamps every month. It has recently come to my attention that the lady she is staying with has been taking full advantage of her. I feel that it wouldn't be a good idea for her to go back there. My mom can't speak and she barely comprehends what is said to her. (Praying that gets alot better in the rehab) Therefore she wont be able to give the permission or grant the POA to me. She lives in Georgia and I am in Alabama. I know states have different laws so what do I need to do to get the process started? I've never had to deal with a situation like this and I have no idea where to start. I could use all the advice and help I can get. TIA

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
Your only option may be to seek guardianship through the courts. Talk with an elder law attorney in Georgia, her state.
Helpful Answer (0)

You can only become POA for your mother if she is competent to give it to you and she does so in writing, witnessed by a notary. That applies in all states, as far as I know.
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter