I'm 25 years old, and since I moved out of my grandmother's house at 22, it's been a downward spiral of depression, possible dementia, and just not having the finances to take care of things properly.

My grandmother needs financial help and will possibly need to move into assisted living soon. I am not able to take care of her when I haven't even started taking care of myself yet. I've gotten her bills in order luckily, but there are some things I can't help with. I do not own a car to help her with grocery shopping, but her budget won't allow delivery. Her budget won't allow for a lot of things once the insurances and meds are paid, as well as her rent. She lost her house a few months ago & is living with her niece.

Ugh, I just don't know how else I can be of help to her. I've been putting in applications for substitized apartments, but it's growing more apparent that she can't live by herself. Is there such a thing as Subsidized assisted living? All she has is social security. I can't help pay for anything!

How do I do all this!? Where am I suppose to go? How can I ask someone else to help me!!! I can't be working full time and doing this....

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
part d is drug coverage go to to learn about drug coverage if she doesn't already have it thru a medicare health plan or separately thru part d. Carol told you how to find your area agency on aging
penn apparently does have a 211 service and there should be no charge for you to dial here is the info. also depending on her income and programs she is eligible for, she might get a social worker assigned . but you need first to hook her up with the right programs that she qualifies for so start with 211 or your area agency on aging. and if she doesn't already have a drug insurance plan under medicare you should look into that b/c i think the deadlilne for signing up this year is soon you can also call medicare 1800 medicare

By dialing 2-1-1 or by accessing the PA 211 database, you will have access to information to the following health and human services
•Basic human needs resources
•Physical and mental health resources
•Employment support
•Support for older Americans and persons with disabilities
•Support for children, youth, and families

•Volunteer and charitable donation opportunities
2-1-1 is a FREE, accessible, 3-digit telephone number available to everyone. All residents have easy access to customized health, housing and human services information in one place. Currently 2-1-1 is available to over 86.6% of the nation’s population, including 50 states.

Every hour of every day, someone in Pennsylvania searches for services, from substance abuse treatment to care for a child or an aging parent. By simply dialing 2-1-1 our trained information specialists can help by answering your questions and connecting you to health and human service programs.

Call 2-1-1 for a referral or to learn more today.

Having Problems accessing PA 211?

United Way and the PA 2-1-1 Central Region Call Center (Community Help Centre) are working with all telephone service providers to ensure that 2-1-1 is accessible to everyone.

To reach 2-1-1 by calling from within a workplace, the phone system must be programmed to allow it (similar to when 9-1-1 was established). Please ask your telecommunications department to grant permission to this new dialing code. Until access is granted, please dial 888-553-5778 to reach the 2-1- 1 resource navigators
Helpful Answer (1)

OmgWhatNow The first thing I must tell you is your grandmother is very lucky to have you. Being aware of her needs is the first step and unfortunately most times families do not see the need until it is way too late. What you need to focus on right now is the steps you need for her care now and for the future. Try not to get overwhelmed, one step at a time is the way to tackle this for your own sanity.
Your grandmother needs someone to be in charge legally. This means you need to get her to agree to signing a Power Of Attorney from your post here I'm thinking you are the one for this job, because you truly care about her, and that's all you need to be to qualify as her P.O.A., you have to act in her benefit. So in order to do this you are going to either, research online and make your own if you don't have the money, or pay about $200.00 for a lawyer to do the papers. You also need her ID's for her to sign in front of a notary and a witness, so that the notary has proof of who she is and signing and stamping the P.O.A. is legally binding. The wording on the papers should not leave out any details as to what you have to do for her. I found this out the hard way. The bank accounts, pensions, cd's , IRA's, insurance policies, anything she has in her name should be mentioned and any actions you need to do for her such as, transfers, address changes, deposits, withdrawals, etc. Applying for assistance such as medicare,medicaid applications, resources, placement for long term care, for financial aid, details are important. Medical details as well. It may be hard to get her to agree to signing, that's a trust issue and sensitive.
Then you need to start making calls to senior services, and get any info. you can about your options. Make a log of who you call and talk to, any info. you get, it gets confusing.
Has she been diagnosed? This is important for you to know because then you can understand what her needs are for care. Medications need to be taken properly and routine is important.
You are not financially responsible for her but you can organize a plan for her care if you act as her agent as P.O.A.
Helpful Answer (0)

I live in PA, too. Each county has an office called Area Agency on Aging. If you will google that and your county seat, I'm sure you'll find the contact information for your local office. The workers there should be able to answer your questions and help find resources for your grandmother.
Helpful Answer (0)

Also, does it cost money to hire a social worker..??
Helpful Answer (0)

There's a part D? I thought it was just A & B and then she would need to get a cover everything else. I don't know. All this junk is confusing.

However, we both live in PA. (and doesn't 211 cost money to dial?)

Sorry, I'm just so picky about money because my boyfriend and I are trying to buy a house at the moment and will have a baby soon. My grandma drives, but probably shouldn't. I wish there was a Medi-car in this area. I tried to check around and there isn't.

Do you think if I called a social worker, they can help me walk through it all?
Helpful Answer (1)

You don't say what state she resides in so you will need to find info by searching the internet using the name of your state and words like "elderly aging assistance department agency programs
Your state might have a 211 information service, dial 211 on your phone to see if it does. The programs that might be available depend on what state and even county you are in.
regarding grocery shopping can she get around herself? some communities have door to door taxi/van service that is subsidized so for a few dollars each way, elderly can get to dr appts shopping etc. Yes there is subsidized assisted living if she qualifies. another option look up legal aid or legal services for low income elderly who can also advise her on resources since if she lost her home she is technically homeless. check to see if she qualifies for extra help under the medicare part D drug plans?
Helpful Answer (2)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter