My mother moved in this past August and constantly talks about her bowel movements. Is this common? How do I discourage her from talking about it constantly?

Her happiness seems to depend on a daily bm. Is this common and how do I discourage her from talking about it constantly. She says, "I know you don't want to hear" and then describes the event anyway.

48

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
A lot of meds cause constipation - try a little prune whip for dessert

I think my psych 101 course said pooping was a basic satisfying need like eating or sleeping - if she can't go and is grouchy maybe it's understandable

Actually your poop is a sign of your health. Both the frequency and how it is. Perhaps she has concerns and that is why she shares. Or that it was good and she wants you to know. I definitely wouldnt be disrespectful by doing the lalalalal method (while it made me laugh as there are times I'd love to do that).

My dementia father in law was constipated and has been known to use his finger to get his poop out. Ended up in the hospital from constipation. I'd listen to thise stories to head off a serious health issue.

Another thing to consider, since she points out she knows you don't want to hear it...perhaps shes doing it to see your reaction? If you start paying attention, stop 'yucking out' about it she might stop. Either way, I'd show respect...and be at least somewhat interested as it is a sign of her health. And if nothing else, gives you a story to share and laugh with others.

With me it's my HUSBAND who's giving me a daily bowel report. He's been suffering from constipation recently, which is now clearing up but he keeps telling me all about it. Honestly it's really putting me off him.

oops ------------

TWO WORDS - MOVE OUT!

I absolutely hate all of this. I think i am going to lose my mind. I will make sure that my children know that they better put me in a nursing home when i can't take care of myself.

Makes me sick. I think they are like children, that have to be reminded of what is appropriate.

Anita - BOY DO I AGREE - my 90 year old father - who is in EXCELLENT health for his age - eats very little meat (steers clear of red meats) - he actually prefers veg meals or occasionally fish....always drinks unsweetened green tea, oatmeal with blueberries for breakfast for the last 30 years, likes fresh fruit and everything is in moderation. No meds (except for an enlarged prostate). Takes a centrum vitamin every day. Exercises 5 days week - including lifting 25lb weights. Takes a daily walk.

His blood pressure is just fine, no heart issues, cholesterol count is lower than mine (I'm 55), blood work came back near perfect, vision is pretty good despite cataracts, circulation is in fine order, bowels regular,,,walks without any kind of aid - he can out-pace 70-year-olds. His mind is clear and sharp. The only thing that is shot is his hearing - but that's a result of a service-related injury.

My son's a Vegan. I'm thinking of hopping onto that wagon!

As we approached 50, I moved my hubby and I moved to a plant-focused mostly vegetarian diet, after reading Dr Andrew Weil's book "8 Weeks to Optimum Health". We now have MANY meals that no one "had to die for". AND we are both in good health - great blood pressure, take no prescription meds, healthy weights (yes, we'd like to lose that extra 10 lbs) - at 60 and 65 yo. Healthy digestive systems - never a problem.

Eat more fruits and veggies, and less meat, and everyone in your home will be feeling better. My almost 93 yo MIL who lives with us also rarely has an issue.

Years ago it was taught that having a daily bowel movement was necessary and a sign of good health. It's a hard habit/belief to break for many elderly people who become hyper focused on their health in their limited daily world. They're looking for signs and symptoms of health or illness. Additionally, the use of laxatives can become like an addition for some. Some people have taken them so much they can no longer have a normal bm without the use of laxatives.

Digging out of poop? Often done when someone is severely constipated especially from taking some types of medications or having a poor diet.

1 2 3 4 5