This is for myself. I am 56 but was in a coma for 2 1/2 weeks and in hospital for a total of one month. Drs. recommended a conservator and my Mom signed up. The coma is and was a mystery. Prior and now I live independently. I have since been tested for competency with flying colors. This was several years ago and I'm only acting now because of 9 orthopedic surgeries over the past 5 years. I am healthy and I would like to have this conservatorship reversed. I am not mentally impaired and I want my opinion and signature to matter once again. Can this be done with a letter sent to the conservator agency? If so is there guidelines for writing such a letter? Or do I have to hire a lawyer and go to court? Footnote: My Mom and I decided we wanted our relationship back and hired an agency to take over. This was while I was still I'll and having surgeries. I am praying someone will see this with constructive advice. Thank you

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Before I realized you were in Oregon, I got dizzy scrolling down to Chapter 8 of the California Conservator's brochure. But it was fun for me.

There is a brochure on conservatorship for the State Of Oregon.
Enter Conservatorship in google. Go to Disability Rights, read page 10+ on how to end a conservatorship.

Hoping this will be the most current handbook?

 2009 Disability Rights Oregon 610 SW Broadway, Suite 200, Portland OR 97205 Voice: 503-243-2081 or 1-800-452-1694 Fax: 503-243-1738 E-mail: Website:
Helpful Answer (0)

Your Mom is/was the Conservator, but hired an agency?
Wondering, can your Mom fire the agency, and with her on your side, petition to end the conservatorship? Obtain an ongoing relationship with an M.D. psychiatrist, get letters, and a lawyer to walk you through this.
In case anyone opposes ending the conservatorship, be sure the attorney is yours and yours alone. You CAN end a conservatorship without your Mother's approval. And, a person is not incompetent just because they may need advice or help in dealing with their own affairs. Do get the appropriate support and help.
This is just my opinion, not an expert.

Obtain the court's brochure and instructions to consevators.
They may have a 'how to' end it. Could be easier with Mom's approval and more information. The Conservator had to file a bond, and is required to perform certain duties to end the Bond.

Enter "Conservator" in the AC search icon above. (The magnifying glass).

Do not give up.
Helpful Answer (0)

I'm not familiar with anyone becoming conservator by "signing up", but I'm assuming you mean that your mother stepped up and agreed to handle the conservatorship.  

I'm assuming that this process was handled through a local court, and that  a judge granted the conservatorship.    If so, the termination would I think also have to be court ordered, unless there's an expiration date to your mother's appointment.

Read the original order establishing conservatorship, and if you don't find an answer contact the court clerk for the judge who signed the order.   He/she might be able to offer more insight, including whether or not a hearing would have to be held to rescind the order.

If by chance that judge is no longer practicing or on the bench, I would contact the Clerk of the Court (not the same as the Judge's clerk) and ask how to proceed, and if there's a specific judge who took over handling of the initial judge's caseload.

Good luck, and congratulations for progressing through what sounds like some serious challenges.
Helpful Answer (3)

Do you have a copy of the conservatorship papers? It is my understanding that such emergency Conservatorships are intended to be temporary and usually have a time limit at which they must be reevaluated, are you certain that it is legally still in force?
Helpful Answer (2)
JoAnn29 May 2020
Good point
How did Mom sign up? I am under the impression a conservatorship like guardianship needs to go thru the courts. What steps did the agency need to take to become ur conservator? Maybe you need to start with them. Ask them what you need to do to remove them as your conservators. You can always have a consultation with a lawyer.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter